Cutting PVC Pipe

Old 02-10-07, 06:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting PVC Pipe

I recently mangled a few vertical cuts working with 1.5" PVC drain pipe. I used a recipricating saw with both hacksaw & a woodcutting blades, but the cuts seemed to hangup halfway through the pipe & weren't straight. Is there a simple & inexpensive tool for a homeowner that would make the job easier? (maybe I should just use a different blade in my recipricating saw?) I can't understand why the saw kept hanging up halfway through the pipes...unless it's because the area is so tight that I can't apply enough side force?? (It is just plastic, the saw blades are new & the saw is a good electric one)
I will be cutting a toilet waste line off (below the bathroom floor) & I don't have alot of room to maneuver in there.....In the basement ceiling below the bathroom)

Old 02-10-07, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Yep, a PVC saw which looks like a back saw, but it is specifically made for pvc, and will yield straighter cuts. Your saw is heating the plastic up, and the heated residue is binding on your blade, causing it to jam.

Old 02-10-07, 08:35 PM
M
mjb
Try a miter box.

Old 02-11-07, 03:44 AM
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I think the OP is trying to cut the pipe in place, not sure.

Old 02-11-07, 06:55 AM
W
Received 32 Upvotes on 26 Posts
I use a reciprocating saw to cut PVC in place. I usually use whatever blade is in the saw at the time. Your half way through comment makes me think the saw is binding because the kerf is closing. Try jamming a wood shim in the kerf to keep it open. If you are having trouble getting a straight cut wrap a piece of tape around the pipe and cut to the edge of the tape.

Old 02-11-07, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Devil5052
I recently mangled a few vertical cuts working with 1.5" PVC drain pipe. I used a recipricating saw with both hacksaw & a woodcutting blades, but the cuts seemed to hangup halfway through the pipe & weren't straight. Is there a simple & inexpensive tool for a homeowner that would make the job easier? (maybe I should just use a different blade in my recipricating saw?) I can't understand why the saw kept hanging up halfway through the pipes...unless it's because the area is so tight that I can't apply enough side force?? (It is just plastic, the saw blades are new & the saw is a good electric one)
I will be cutting a toilet waste line off (below the bathroom floor) & I don't have alot of room to maneuver in there.....In the basement ceiling below the bathroom)
Agree with Wayne Mitchell, you are binding the blade, lots of luck.

....................................................................................
"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 02-11-07, 03:02 PM
For tight areas, or to impress friends, you can make quick square cuts with builders string, or the tool for doing so; an emory-like coated cable with handles on each end. I used to be a licensed water operator that used this trick many times in underground repairs to keep from digging any more of a hole than I had to. Also has worked great for me in tight areas and next to electrical wires and other pipes where sawing would be difficult.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: