Leaky Frost-free faucet

Old 02-13-07, 11:02 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Frost-free faucet

My frost-free faucet is leaking when it is shut off. We have been experiencing near freezing temperatures and I removed the garden hose when I had my sprinklers blown out, so I know that this was not the problem starter. I heard a slight hiss and went outside and low and behold my faucet has a slow leak with a hill of ice leading to the faucet. I removed the ice and shut of the main. Do I need to replace the faucet (1/4 turn faucet) or is there something else I need to do? Why did this happen? Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-14-07, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First, look at the sillcock and tell us if the gray nylon shim is installed on the top half of the flange where it is screwed to the wall. If there is no shim there, then the sillcock is sitting level, rather than being slightly tilted downward (as would happen with the shim in place) to allow the water to drain after being shut off. It does appear you have a split casing on the sillsock, and you are getting bypass water which is freezing. Do you have any water on the inside of the house? You may be in luck if not. With the water turned off, remove the collar nut and stem from the casing and check the washer on the end of the stem. Sometimes they are attached with a screw, and sometimes they are pressed onto a stud. If the stem comes out without the washer, it was the latter, and the washer has come loose and is still in the tube and needs to be removed. Replace the washer with a new one and reinstall. Hopefully this will fix the small leak. If it does, make sure the sillcock is tilted.

Old 02-14-07, 01:30 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Frost-free faucet

Thanks for the reply! Looks like the shim wasnt' enough! The sillcock was almost level. I went ahead a bought a new faucet and this time made sure there is an adequate angle on it. Looks like everything is working fine now. Thank the heavens I did not end up with a busted water pipe.

I went ahead and also insulated the pipe and resealed the caulking around the faucet. This water line is on the north end of my walk-out basement and was mounted very close to the outside wall. I also re-insulated the area where the foundation and siding connect. Seems that there is a pretty good draft coming under the siding into the basement. This small problem seemed to help me prevent and even bigger future one! Thanks again for your advice! Take care!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: