Hole in drain pipe

Old 02-15-07, 12:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hole in drain pipe

I have developed a hole about the size of my thumb in diameter. It's in the side of a Y connector where the kitchen sink drain and the washer drain connect. It's an old pipe, probably cast iron about 3" in diameter. Can it be repaired or plugged?
Thanks

Old 02-15-07, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Post a digital picture of this on a site such as photobucket.com and lets see if we can come up with a solution.

Old 02-15-07, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by saddlebum13
I have developed a hole about the size of my thumb in diameter. It's in the side of a Y connector where the kitchen sink drain and the washer drain connect. It's an old pipe, probably cast iron about 3" in diameter. Can it be repaired or plugged?
Thanks
I've made such repairs, years ago, that have held. There are different things you can do. Menard's (A big-box store) I see sells a reinforced electrical tape looking tape for wrapping around such repair areas, sold in their plumbing department. I have oozed on that GOOP (Plumber's GOOP or Household GOOP) product. A must product for every toolbox. This stuff bonds practically anything. For emergencies, plain old electrical tape tightly wound round and round will stop a leak. (My one GOOP repair was to a hole in 4 inch cast at the bottom of the second floor, and it has held for years! Another job I had a leak where the 1 1/2 inch galvanized drain threads went into a galvanized T fiting and I built up the Goop in 2 layers over 2 days, and the joint has never leaked again!)

Old 02-18-07, 10:34 AM
S
I've posted 3 pictures of the hole on the website photobucket.com under saddlebum13_2007. I can put my index finger in the hole up to my fingernail. The area around the hole seems to be very solid.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: