drain pipe into wall, cannot get it off.

Old 02-16-07, 09:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool drain pipe into wall, cannot get it off.

I am installing a new faucet and was securing the new pvc j trap to the existing chrome pipe coming from the wall when the metal lip around the drain waste pipe(chrome) crumbled off. So, I loosened the metal(not sure what kind) nut or gasket type thing that was there at the wall. The chrome drain pipe is fitted into another goldish looking metal pipe inside the wall, with threads on the outside of the gold (yellowish) pipe . The threads were what the nut/gasket was screwed on. So I tried twisting this chrome pipe out and IT WILL NOT budge. I took a screwdriver and tried to loosen the chrome pipe where it entered into the gold pipe by tapping with a hammer. It looks like I got a little plumbers putty removed but still, will not budge. How can I tell If it is soldered on? If I put a wrench around the chrome pipe it just indents the pipe, but doesn't budge. IF it is soldered on, how do I remove it ? I need to bring it to the hardware store so I can get the exact same fitting piece.I tried searching for the answer and have found not results as to what a pipe looks like when it is soldered.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-07, 02:56 PM
M
I doubt it's soldered

that's a brass fitting, and the chrome pipe is undoubtedly corroded.

take a tape measure and run it on the inside of the current pipe to get the length. You can use the old nut to get the pipe's diameter.

Solder would not 'chip' out, and it looks like a silvery lead ring , see your copper plumbing joints.

bottom line - that puppy's gotta come out of there. Try a block of wood against the face end of the pipe, ( to spread out the blows around the circumference of the pipe) and rapping that with a hammer. As frustration grows, so do the hammer blows. Oh, test frequently for success. Make sure the kids aren't around!

Good Luck ( I know I'd need it )

Last edited by MTTwister; 02-16-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 04:12 PM
J
wow. thats exactly what the situation is. I measured the diameter of the pipe and it was 1 1/4, took measurements of pipe and the two nut gaskets(one chrome one brass-thanks) to the hardware store and got a new drain pipe. I bought the pvc one , not because it was cheaper, the hardware guy said they don't corrode and are easier to maintain and work with :/ Anyways, I did what you said about the one still stuck in my wall, and after some workings, got it out. Now my question is do I just slide and slither the new pvc drain pipe into the brass pipe in the wall(no threads on either one) without any tape or putty? Just stuff it in about two inches, apply the washer and then the nut gasket and flange and thats it? No sealant?
Thanks for replying to my post.

Old 02-19-07, 11:46 AM
M
Jane - I'm sure your not sitting around waiting, but

Yep! ( ok need 10 characters to post a reply )