Low Hot Water Pressure at All Taps

Old 02-16-07, 10:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had a new Whirlpool gas hot water tank installed a little while back. Since the installation, I have very low pressure at all hot water taps. Prior to the installation of the new tank, the pressure was fine. The lines had set empty for approx. 5 months before the new tank was installed. Someone suggested that I open the pressure release valve and allow the water to drain out. I have done that twice now and there is no change in the pressure. All new copper piping was used when the tank was installed. The cold water is not effected. It takes approx. 30 minutes to fill the washer using just hot water, that is how low the pressure stays. Sometinmes when I turn on the bath faucet, there is a "hammering" that either comes from the pipe or the tank.

Please, what can I do to increase the hot water pressure?

Old 02-17-07, 02:41 AM
B
no pressure

when you drain the tank...is there pressure in the tank pushing the water out...if so your problem is on the outlet side...if not your problem is the supply line...this should at least let you know where to start looking

Old 02-17-07, 03:10 AM
S

The water that comes out of the pressure release valve does not come out with a lot of pressure, it does not flow as though you turned on a faucet. It does flow out, but not with a lot of pressure. The flow is more likea tap has been opened about half way and the water flows at a natural rate without pressure pushing it out with force.

Old 02-17-07, 04:30 AM
Since your problem is at all taps and only presented itself after the water heater was installed, I suspect that maybe the shutoff valve to the water heater is not opened up fully. Keep in mind, that there might be more than one valve (ie someone added one upstream, in series, of the one right at the water heater).

The other possibility is that there was sediment kicked up and all the aerators plugged up slightly. Possible, but not probably in my mind.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-07, 08:29 AM
S

All valves are fully open. The valve at the street, the valve where the water line enters the house and the valve at the water tank are all fully open. Those are the only valves.

Old 02-17-07, 04:42 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, If the cold water is OK then we know the problem is not at the street or aerators.If only the hot side is affected then make sure the valve at the heater is OK, If it's a gate valve then it could stop half way open.If the connections to the heater are threaded then take them loose and check for flow. Make sure that when the tank was installed the installer didn't use a smaller pipe in the connection somewhere.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 02-17-07, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by speedmax2000
The water that comes out of the pressure release valve does not come out with a lot of pressure, it does not flow as though you turned on a faucet. It does flow out, but not with a lot of pressure. The flow is more like a tap has been opened about half way and the water flows at a natural rate without pressure pushing it out with force.
This one remark proves it is on the cold water supply side.

Do you have cold water faucet to test pressure at somewheres between the street valve and the inlet to the water heater to narrow down your search?

Old 02-17-07, 07:19 PM
S

Yes....there is an outside faucet where the line enters the house. Pressure is fine there. All cold water taps inside have strong pressure.

Old 02-18-07, 04:41 AM
One other thought.

Did the installer by any chance use "heat trap dielectric nipples" to connect the tank. These have kind of a check valve within in and they are suppose to stop the natural flow of warm water. It is to keep the hot water in the tank.

Anyway, there are two type. One goes on the cold supply side and the other goes on the warm side. They are designed to let water flow only in one direction. If the intaller reversed these two, then you might be seeing the issue you have. I do not know if the nipples have any marking on the outside. They may say cold and hot or something to that effect. They are plastic lined on the inside, (warm side is red plastic and cold is blue plastic), but the color won't help you unless you disconnect the piping.

Either way, I think you have to remove at least the cold supply pipe. You need to see (with pipe disconnected) if the water flows as expected. With the pipe off, you can check for any heat trap nipples.

Also, the problem you are having is not neccessarily a "pressure" problem. I think it is more of a "flow" problem.

Old 02-18-07, 08:31 AM
K
Is it the old valve at the water heater? Is it the kind with a bibb washer? It probably came loose. Put in a ball valve and see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: