soldering question

Old 02-19-07, 08:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soldering question

Hi all, great site! I have some pipes to solder in my basement but they are very close to the floor joists etc.. this house is very old (1900) and im worried about starting a fire. my 1st thought was to use a spray bottle w/water and soak the wood a little before starting. would this work or would anyone have a different idea?

and yes, i will have an extinguisher on hand.

thanks for any advice.
Bernie

Old 02-19-07, 08:31 AM
F
FMD
Check with your home building store or plumbing store. There is a fireproof cloth that you can place between the pipes and the wood to prevent heat transfer.

Old 02-19-07, 08:58 AM
fire

Wetting the wood won't hurt, as well as using the heat shield mentioned previously. I will assure you the wooden joists are well dried out and will ignite and burn faster than you could imagine! A lot of fires are started that way, be extra careful!!

Old 02-19-07, 09:19 AM
B
Originally Posted by radioconnection
Wetting the wood won't hurt, as well as using the heat shield mentioned previously. I will assure you the wooden joists are well dried out and will ignite and burn faster than you could imagine! A lot of fires are started that way, be extra careful!!
Thank you both. i am going to the store now and will get some sheilding & will also use the water. i would normally give this job to a plumber but i am extremly broke & i would rather start doing this type of work myself. i am an auto mechanic and repair small engines as well but this home repair stuff is all new to me so be ready for plenty of questions lol.

thanks again
Bernie

Old 02-19-07, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
When you use water to dampen the wood make sure you use several applications of water to allow it to soak in.
A quick spray will not penetrate the wood and any sustained heat can dry out the surface water and cause the wood to ignite.
Also make sure you look up!
The worst type of fire to deal with is one that travels in some type of hollow space that is out of reach of the water spray.

Old 02-21-07, 06:59 AM
B
Well im proud to say the job was a success! i followed some advice from here and ended up soldering 10 fittings togeather without 1 leak.

the only problem i have now is from being in the cold damp basement all that time i woke up with an ear infection. i just cant win lol.

Bernie

Old 02-21-07, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is rewarding to everyone here, to get replies back, whether they be for the good or for the bad. Glad it all worked out for you and you saved lots of money.

Old 02-22-07, 05:42 PM
They have a product now that you spray on and it is a flame inhibitor. Can't remember the name, but all the hardware stores incl. HD carry it. You should also get a fabric flame protector to put behind the work, and for sure have a bucket of water or good fire extinquisher standing by.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: