Is there any way to use a chemical treatment?

Old 02-20-07, 12:19 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is there any way to use a chemical treatment?

I live in a ranch home in a suburb of Chicago. Everything seemed to be going well, although when taking a shower, the water would rise. It drains properly and when I spoke to different people they told me that the town I live in is known for water issues and several people had the same problem. So after using various liquid plumbers and so forth I gave up the battle. The next thing I noticed was when I used the washer, the water being dumped in the sink was backing up into the bathtub! It gives off a smell as well. The most disastrous thing though is when I use the kitchen sink. Water going through the drain, causes the drain on the floor by the washing machine to rise and give off odor and waste! I cannot wash dishes because it overflows. I thought maybe something was clogged in the sink, i.e. grease, but I have used all types of solvents in there as well but to no avail! You think that the flooding in this area, along with the snow and cold weather is adding on to the problem? Or is it just a crappy plumbing system that needs to be junked? Also it seems like these problems started when the village did a hydrant flushing. Please help! Is there any way of getting around an expensive plumber?

Old 02-20-07, 12:56 PM
D
Chemical Treatment

I think I would start with having the main waste pipe snaked out. Should be about a 3.5" pipe and they have a removable cap on them for that to be done.

All drains need vent pipes, without them you get vapor locks in the lines and poor drainage. Look on top of your house for small 1.5" vent pipes sticking up about 12" on the roof.

Your washing machine should have it's separate drain pipe (2" pipe) of at least 36" high with the washing machine drain hose placed inside the top of it. It also needs a trap and can be plumbed into the bottom of the deep sink's trap. (elbow section)

But again, start with getting the main waste pipe cleaned out and see how shower and washing machine react to better drainage.

Old 02-20-07, 01:14 PM
T
Okay, I will give it a try. Menards or Ace hardware should have it right? Is that the same as a "rodder?" I'm not too hardware savvy so could you please tell me the exact item to ask for when I go? Thanks!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: