Washing Machine drain

Old 02-21-07, 05:43 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine drain

My washing machine is located in the basement of my house, and currently drains into a basin, which then drains into a drain on the floor via a garden hose attached to the bottom of the basin. I would like to install a dedicated drain stack, but want to make sure that it is done correctly. There is a 2 or 3" cast iron drain line that comes down from the kitchen above that is approximately 5' away from the washer. Is it okay to tee into this drain line? I assume that this drain line is vented through the roof. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-21-07, 08:45 AM
D
Washing Machine Drain

It's ok to tee into your 3.5" waste pipe. Make sure it's well supported above before you cut it, so it does not drop down.

Be sure to add a elbow trap "U" in your stack pipe drain or you will smell the odor from the waste pipe. Keep you stack pipe 36" or higher for washing machine drain hose. I used 2" PVC for my stack.

I used the rubber boot Tee and rented the tool for cutting the iron pipe. It's the one that works like a chain ratchit and keeps scoring the pipe until the pressure breaks it. (forget the name of it)

Duke of

Old 02-21-07, 09:58 AM
Wash machine

Originally Posted by txag01
My washing machine is located in the basement of my house, and currently drains into a basin, which then drains into a drain on the floor via a garden hose attached to the bottom of the basin. I would like to install a dedicated drain stack, but want to make sure that it is done correctly. There is a 2 or 3" cast iron drain line that comes down from the kitchen above that is approximately 5' away from the washer. Is it okay to tee into this drain line? I assume that this drain line is vented through the roof. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You probably can tie into a 2 or 3 inch stack for your hook-up, but you will still need a dedicated vent that has to go 6in. above the highest fixture connected to the line. Any vent on the line only serves the upper fixtures.

I would agree with the other post about using 2in. for the run, but most codes that I work with call for a min. of 18in. to a max. of 36in. for a stand pipe above the trap. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 02-21-07, 11:39 AM
T
Originally Posted by shacko
You probably can tie into a 2 or 3 inch stack for your hook-up, but you will still need a dedicated vent that has to go 6in. above the highest fixture connected to the line. Any vent on the line only serves the upper fixtures.

I am not sure that I am following in regards to having a dedicated vent that is 6 in above the highest fixture connected to the line. Are you saying that the vent that goes out the roof will only vent the fixtures in kitchen, and that I need another Tee out of the line for a vent located 6 inches above the tee that I will be adding for the washer drain? Does this vent have to go out of the roof? Is there a simple way to add the vent?

Old 02-22-07, 10:01 AM
Vent

Most stacks or vertical waste lines have fixtures connected to them, the vent serves only the highest fixture, if you put a new connection into the line you end up with the lower fixture being wet vented. 6in. above means that you shouldn't tie back into the vent until you are at least 6in. ABOVE THE HIGHEST fixture connected to the line. You don't have to run through the roof if you can make this connection.

If this won't work you can use a AAV on your line. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: