Leaking pipe joint

Old 02-25-07, 05:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking pipe joint

I discovered a leak behind my kitchen sink cabinet that was coming from behind the wall. I had to break into the wall to access the leak. It was at an elbow on a 3/4" copper elbow. I tried to put a split water hose as suggested on this site but it continued to leak. I obtained Devcon leakstopper epoxy and tried that. Still leaked. I put epoxy inside the hose and screwed tight with hose clamps. Held for awhile. Went to sleep this Saturday nite. Awoke with puddle of water on floor. Called plumber. Wouldn't be able to get to me until Monday afternoon since he had to take his new Mercedes in for servicing (this is not sarcasm). Tired of trying to bail myself out. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rainyplace; 02-26-07 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spellling
Old 02-25-07, 05:31 PM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Not much info to go on, but if you're already into the wall, why not just redo the joint and/or replace the elbow? If it's copper it's a one hour job. If it's galvanized it should be easier. Worst case you end up cutting and rethreading the pipe.

Old 02-25-07, 06:03 PM
R
Leaking pipe

I thought of that but my confidence level is low. I went to home depot and bought the fitting. Really wanted the presolder elbow. Out of stock. That way I could heat it and feed the bottom of the elbow at the same. Then I would know that I had heated it enough plus adding addition solder. What I really would like to have tried is the Shark Bite fitting then I wouldn't have to bother with soldering. About $11 per unit. Out of stock.

Old 02-26-07, 07:03 AM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Rainyplace - soldering copper fittings is a pretty easy job. If you pay attention to a few basic steps you can make a reliable connection 100% of the time.

Use undamaged fittings, make sure they're squeaky clean, use lots of flux and the right solder. Lots of heat on the fitting until it sucks up the solder. Oh - and don't start a fire.

If you have a little spare time, buy a piece of pipe and some elbows and practice soldering fittings until you get it right.

Last - but not least. Try a plumbing supply house instead of HD.

Old 02-26-07, 07:12 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Don't fear soldering... why not make yourself a bit of art with it and then after that tackle that repair?

The trickiest part of soldering when it involves repairs is that it is hard to get all of the moisture out. As long as you can do that, it's a matter of buff, flux, fit, heat and a solder.

Old 02-26-07, 10:29 AM
Leak

Originally Posted by rainyplace
I discovered a leak behind my kitchen sink cabinet that was coming from behind the wall. I had to break into the wall to access the leak. It was at an elbow on a 3/4" copper elbow. I tried to put a spit water hose as suggested on this site but it continued to leak. I obtained Devcon leakstopper epoxy and tried that. Still leaked. I put epoxy inside the hose and screwed tight with hose clamps. Held for awhile. Went to sleep this Saturday nite. Awoke with puddle of water on floor. Called plumber. Wouldn't be able to get to me until Monday afternoon since he had to take his new Mercedes in for servicing (this is not sarcasm). Tired of trying to bail myself out. Any suggestions?
Sorry,but I don't have clue what you are calling a "spit water hose", or what it has to do with the problem.

....................................................................................
"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 02-26-07, 11:48 AM
R
Leaking pipe joint

Was tired. The word should have been split. Cut hose then slit so it can be wrapped around joint. As suggested by others I will try to solder joint. When a person has one of those sequential bad events days he has a tendency to be shaky around the edges.

Thanks for the advice and coach I'm ready to go in.

Old 02-26-07, 03:25 PM
R
Leaking pipe joint

The aftermath:
Once the decision had been made I crawled under the sink amongst the wet debris I hadn"t removed. I felt like I was going to perform major surgery on a copper sculture on the freeway during rush hour. But first I have to relate the rest of the story. The pipe I was to work on was sticking about 1 1/4 inches through a concrete pad. I would be soldering uphill on the bottom of the elbow without much room. And if I botched it I would have to rip up the concrete. I didn't mention it earlier as not to sound too dramatic.
After soldering, I cracked the supply valve open. I had done this same movement many times with disappointing results. It always leaked. I cracked it open wider and the hissing stopped. The weld held.
Later that day I was talking with my dentist about bonding agents. He said to repair pipes with the stuff he uses and cures with ultra violet would be very expensive. He also stated that no matter what type of toothbrush, paste or mouthwash they invent no dentist has lost employment or income. Same could be said of plumbers. LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: EASY

Last edited by rainyplace; 02-26-07 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-07, 08:29 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
There seems to be a lot of questions about soldering copper lately.

FYI, Oatey has an EXCELLENT video showing all the basics. Naturally they mention their products but other brands will work just as well.

There are two videos, both the same except a bigger picture.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/resources/showresources.asp?resource_type=Video

Baldwin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: