Water leak into electrical conduit!

Old 02-27-07, 03:44 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leak into electrical conduit!

Not sure if this should be posted in electrical or basement but it is a combination of both, so here goes.

For months I have seen water in my basement whenever it rains, after going through the whole house inside and out to try to locate the entry point, I have finally located to a couple of electrical conduits that supply power to the HVAC in the basement.

YES, the water comes out of the conduits!

The conduits just stick out of the ground and terminated about 2 feet above the ground.

I go around the perimeter of the house and could not find any point where electrical wires can be seen to go underground, so that the exit point is in my basement. In other words, I cannot see where water may get into the conduits!

My second thought turns to the rain water drainage where the downspout dumps water into ground buried flexible hoses and out to somewhere around the house. The thinking is that gofers or squirrels might have eaten their way into this and created an exit point for the water to escape but I do not know where the flexible hoses are snakering around the house to start looking.

What would be a typical hoses layout for this type?

My third thought turns to blocking the exit point of the water by pumping silicon caulk into the electrical conduits to block the water exit point but I do not know the implication of this.

At this point, I am pretty exhausted of all ideas and means.
Please help!

Thanks

Old 02-27-07, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Does the water come out of the conduit itself or from around the hole made for the conduit? I wouldn't stop the water at the lower end, as all you will be accomplishing is filling up the pipe. Be sure to apply silicone to the wall where it emerges, but check up high for a possible leak, and make sure it is sealed on top to keep the water out to begin with.

Old 02-27-07, 08:15 PM
P
The water comes out of the conduit, so there must be a break somewhere in the line. At this point, I have not been able to locate this overground and short of digging up everything, I am not sure how else to do.

Obviously, plugging it at the lower point means filling up the pipe but I am not sure of the long term implication of this method. I mean, how would the PVC of the electrical wire stand up to being in the water for long period?

Old 02-28-07, 04:30 AM
It depends on the outer coating, and if it is rated for underground installation or not. If it is UF rated, then no problem, they installed it in conduit as a convenience, but if not, you will have to find the leak (which is probably an unglued elbow) and fix it right.

Old 02-28-07, 08:27 AM
P
I am guessing right now that the conduit runs along the outside of the foundation wall and enter it at some point into the basement.

What is the typical depth for the conduit to be buried in the ground?

Old 02-28-07, 03:27 PM
18-24" usually.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: