Leaks that fix themselves

Old 02-28-07, 07:53 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaks that fix themselves

From time to time when installing new plumbing I'll end up with a very small leak that I can't seem to fix - I'm talking about compression joints, not soldered joints. Often I'll just give up and come back a day or two later and - presto! - the leak has fixed itself.

I'm never all that confident that the problem is truly fixed. Is this sort of thing common? If it's not leaking 24 hours later should I quit worrying about it?

Old 02-28-07, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
It happens all the time. Sometimes the metal calcifies enough to seal it, and sometimes your water is hard enough to cause the calcification. Of course tightening the joint is always best to ensure the leak won't start up at a later date. Of course the old addage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 03-05-07, 01:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just noticed this on my current plumbing project. I installed a new shower mixing valve and since for inspection the system needs to be under pressure, I made a little threaded plug to install in the riser where the shower arm will go. I teflon taped it and tightened it in and there was a very small drip there (this is differnet than my other thread about a small drip). A few day later and the drip was gone.

Now that I've re-done the other drip problem, this problem is back. I had to drain all the lines to re-solder the other problem and didn't touch this plug. After I turned the water back on and turned on the water at the valve to fully pressurize the system, that small drip is back.

I sure hope it goes away again.

Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: