Broken Pipe Above Trap on Bathroom Sink -- How Do I Remove?

Old 03-03-07, 11:03 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken Pipe Above Trap on Bathroom Sink -- How Do I Remove?

I was trying to remove the trap from my downstairs bathroom sink because of a clog. I got the second nut loose on the trap, and when I tried to loosen the first one, the pipe broke farther up close to the drain. I've been trying to nerf on the pipe with a wrench but I can't get it loose. Is there something that would help me get this thing off so I can put a new pipe/trap on?

I took pictures that might help make sense of it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chungkuo/BrokenSink

(btw, this is the THIRD drain trap in the house I've taken apart since we moved in (summer 2006) that has a soda straw in it. What the heck???)

Old 03-03-07, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I think you need a whole drain tail out of the sink. so cut it up anyway you can to get the mess out of there and put a new drain in. Or if some of the drain is in the sink you can just get a small pipe to ex it some.

Old 03-03-07, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The chrome piece in the bottom of the sink unscrews out of the part underneath the sink, if you must replace that whole tailpiece drain and overflow asembly...just so you know. If you absoulutely can't get it to unscrew due to age, you will have to back off the big nut that pins the rubber gasket under the bottom of the sink bowl... and then cut the metal drain tailpiece above the nut so you can pull it out through the top. Or depending on the tailpiece, you may be able to break that large nut and pull it out through the top.

Old 03-05-07, 04:59 AM
C
Thanks.

I've got most of the pipe cut off, but the drain is still stuck in there. All of the drain/tail replacements I've seen on line have threads, so I'm assuming there will be some bad juju all around if I manage to bang the drain out. Is there some way to repair the threads in the sink later? The sink is pretty old and I'd hate to have to replace it.

Old 03-05-07, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is stopping it from coming out? You trying to pull it out the top? If you cut through the threads above the big nut, it has to come out the top...with out...juju'ing?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: