Loud Humming When Toilet Flushes

Old 03-03-07, 12:54 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Loud Humming When Toilet Flushes

Hello,

I have two toilets, one upstairs and one downstairs. I'm not experienced AT ALL with home repairs, so when my upstairs toilet refused to quit running, I turned the water the water valves off on both toilets in case I screwed up big time. Now, when you flush the downstairs toilet, the pipes make this very loud humming sound. I've found that if I take the lid of the tank off and lift the ball up in the tank the noise stops. Also, running the sink right next to the toilet seems to keep the noise from appearing. I wonder if I opened the valves too much when I was done tinkering with the upstairs toilet. I've closed both valves a bit, but I don't want to turn the water completely off on one of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Laura

Old 03-03-07, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's the rush of water through the pipe feeding the toilet. And by opening up the bathroom faucet next to it, you reduced waterline pressure enough to slow down the speed of the water through the pipe. Just play around with your toilet shut off valves. Close them enough to be satisfied that the toilet refills fast enough, without all that noise.

Old 03-04-07, 08:03 PM
L
Thanks!

Thanks! It worked perfectly! I appreciate your help

Old 03-05-07, 03:51 PM
You're welcome. Call again...and save big money.

Old 03-05-07, 07:38 PM
J
I thought these vavles were suppose to be all the way open or all the way closed to prevent leaks around the stem.

Jimmie

Old 03-07-07, 03:33 PM
No. Like with all valves, they can be partially open as well, as there is also a seal around the stem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: