Connecting PVC to copper

Old 03-03-07, 02:49 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting PVC to copper

What is the proper way to connect a threaded PVC adapter to a copper fitting? Teflon on the male (copper) threads? Some type of gasket? Other?

Here's my situation: I have a section of thin gauge, 1.5 inch waste pipe under my sink. The pipe is about 16" long in total, has two 90 degree bends, and connects the sink flange to the trap below it (the trap is a heavier gauge copper). The thin section is leaking and I'd like to replace it with PVC pipe. I'm familiar with connecting PVC to PVC, but have never connected PVC to copper.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-03-07, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Not sure what you have there. BUT Id use a Mpt thread on the pvc to go into a copper Fpt

Old 03-03-07, 03:55 PM
G
Thanks. Not sure if it helps, but the thin copper pipe is connected on either end with a slip nut (and a rubber washer?).

What do Mpt and Fpt stand for?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-07, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Mpt Male pipe thread Fpt Female pipe thread.
You say rubber rings nuts and thin pipe thats like you can call a drain TAIL pipe. check and see if you cant find the same pipe to go into there

Old 03-03-07, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If I understand correctly, you simply need to get a new kitchen drain trap repair kit, that will fit 1 1/2" OD. Such as: http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u453142

In the kit, there will be a female nut that will go over your existing drainpipe, then you'll slip a new compression ring over the existing pipe, then screw it all together.

Plumbing is such a pain... you never have all the parts you need. Be sure you're not confusing 1 1/2" OD with 1 1/4" OD, or that will be another trip to the hardware store.

Old 03-04-07, 05:49 AM
G
Thanks. Actually, it's not the trap but a section of pipe that connects the sink flange to the trap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: