booster pump configuration

Old 03-06-07, 07:25 AM
S
sky
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
booster pump configuration

I live in a bungalow which has low water pressure from a gravity fed tank in the attic. Showers just dont work as there is no pressure. I cannot raise the tank any higher. Which would help if I could.

So I have installed a 3 bar negative head single entry / exit pump on the draw off from the cistern. Which feeds the water around the house and also feeds th copper cylinder with coil for the hot water.
My problem is that when I switch on the pump the pressure is escaping out through the expansion from the top of the copper cylinder.
Anyone know how I can sort this, or is my configuration wrong from the beginning.
hope you can help
thanks
sky

Old 03-06-07, 01:41 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I understand you to a point and then you lose me. Your cistern is feeding a booster which is pressurizing the water to 3 bar (3 atm or about 45 PSI).

Then you lose me. Here in the states, we don't use cisterns anymore (that's not the problem, my granparents had one), and apparently we heat water quite differently than you do. I don't know what the copper cylinder with coil exactly is, looks like or exactly how it functions. Although I'd like to be able to, I can't help you without an understanding of that.

One guess, though. Could you be describing the pressurized water coming out of a pressure relief valve on top of the copper cylinder? Water heating tanks typically have such valves as safety devices to prevent overpressurizing the water heater (and possibly exploding) in situations where the heating source overheats (and boils?) the water. In the states, our relief valves are set much higher than 3 bar or 45 PSI, but perhaps yours is designed to operate at a much lower setting. If this is indeed the situation, placing a pressure reducing valve (pressure regulator) between the booster pump and water heater and setting it to a lower pressure should solve your problem.

Last edited by formula; 03-06-07 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 08:06 AM
S
sky
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Booster Pump Pressure

HELLO YOU HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEM. THE obvious answer is to do as you say and put a pressure reducing valve on the feed into the cylinder.
once i lower the pressure to equal gravity pressure it should work.
i will pick up a pressure reducing valve on saturday and install it.
i am sorry you could not fully understand the setup as i explained it.

just to help you understand the cylinder.
the water comes from mains up to the attic cistern for storage.
drinking water is tapped off the main before it rises to the cistern.
the stored water is then used to flush toilets and feed bathrooms etc.

where the cylinder comes into play is for providing the hot water to the kitchen and bathroom.
inside the cylinder there is a coil of pipework which is connected to the central heating boiler. so the coil is acting just like another radiator.
when the heating is on this heats the coil which in turn heats the water in the copper cylinder (capacity gallons ) it is a cheap way of heating water and having it readily available whenever needed.
while boiler pipe circuits including the coil have a safety valve. the cylinder has not. so to allow for expansion in the cylinder as the water heats. the cylinder has an open expansion going back up and over the cistern.
which if the water is getting to hot it can escape to the cistern.

my problem is that as the water from the cylinder provides the hot water to the shower etc. the pressure was escaping out through the open expansion.
once i put the pressure reducing valve at the cylinder this should solve the problem.
i hope i have explained it a little better this time and once again thany you for your valued help and advice.
sky

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: