Replacing push/pull style water shut off valves?

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-07, 07:28 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Replacing push/pull style water shut off valves?

I have just purchased a 5yr old home that has the plastic push/pull style water shut offs on all fixtures. I replaces 3 toilets and found that when I turned on the valve, they all leak at the spot where the hose goes into the plastic shut off valve. With this type of shut off the hose is part of the valve assembly, I think, and I guess I need to replace this existing valve with a good old chrome shut off . How do I get this old valve off of the existing copper pipe that comes out of the wall? There is not much of the copper pipe sticking out of the wall so I need to get to as much of the copper pipe as I can. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 03:29 PM
DaVeBoy's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,665
Not familiar with that kind of shut off valve. Is it possible to buy new shut off valves just like it and take out the guts and swap new for old?

Also, as far as actual removal goes; if you pull it toward you, will it come, some? Or is it tight against the wall no matter what you do? Is there a chrome trim ring between the valve and the wall and is it the not very thick typical type, if so?
Old 04-22-08, 07:31 AM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
I hade the same problem with one of these leaky one-piece push pull valves. I could not see a way of removing it and hired a plumber. After the water is shut off, he grasped the entire valve body with a channel lock and began twisting it while pulling it away from the wall. Slowly it slid off the end of the copper pipe. It looks like this valve was just pressed on with no compressing fitting. It was replaced with a steel valve with compressing fitting and removable supply tube. Now that I see how it was removed I can replace others in my house if necessary. I thought I would share this with you all to save the expense of the plumber.
Old 09-08-08, 02:52 PM
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: az
Posts: 1
Mr sweeney

You say he just grasped the body of the valve and twisted? If you have any additional info or if you replaced any yourself afterwards, please respond. What state are you in?
Thank you!
Old 01-05-09, 07:41 AM
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Thumbs up Accor valves

I just had the same problem with my push pull valves and found out they are not sold to consumers. They are from Accor technology and the model I have comes with a 10 year warranty and I called them and they are sending a replacement free of charge. While talking to the rep, he said it is simple to remove by just twisting the handle counterclockwise. Hope to receive the product and complete installation procedures in a couple of days.
Old 03-31-09, 11:59 AM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 1
Accor Plastic Angle Stop Valve

These valves were used in my kitchen and all three of my bathrooms, twin sinks in the master bath, so ten of these cheapo things. These seem to be very popular with builders & plumbing contractors who tout the 10 year warranty, I think its because they can just push them onto the copper stub, connect to the fixture and call it good. A little more money and effort during construction for good old compression valves would have suited me. Well I can say from experience that I really don't care for these plastic stop valves. Everytime I looked at one crosswise, it starts leaking and not a single one actually stopped flow to allow replacing a faucet, so as I upgraded each faucet, these were the first to go.

Shut off the house water supply and diconnect the hose from the faucet. You can then just unscew them counterclockwise to remove them, hose and all since they were crimped onto the valve. But because the copper gets cut by this action and there is a corroded ring left were the seal was, I've ended up up using a stubby tube cutter right below were the seal was to have a clean stub of copper to put a compression valve on.
You only lose about an inch of copper, so unless they really short changed you on the stub, this is the way to go.
If you don't like compression fittings, you could sweat on a male thread adapter and use a threaded valve instead.

Here is another dig at these Accor's, the only place in my house these weren't installed, for whatever reason, was at each toillet, these are standard chrome angle valves. Granted my house is almost 2x older than the 10 year warranty of the Accor's, but all three of the original cheapo chrome angle valves still work perfectly, same age, same water supply that rendered every single Accor in my house useless for shut-off. I even broke a couple of the cheap little knobs trying to "snap" them out to the closed position. Nuff said!
Old 09-01-12, 05:09 AM
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Smile Accor Valve Replacement Video

Here is a demonstration of an Accor (push/pull) valve being replaced. No pulling needed, just unscrew the valve counter-clockwise. How to remove Accor Technology FlowTite water valve. - YouTube
Old 09-01-12, 07:37 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 17,726
Likes Received: 2
Thread is old and original question has been answered. I am closing this thread. Please start a new thread if you have an issue with Accor Valves.
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes