Washer drain question

Old 03-08-07, 06:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washer drain question

I am installing a new washer hookup and it will now be on the 1st floor. The old hookups were in the basement. I will use 2"PVC and I am piping this to a separate septic tank independent from all other drains in the house. The laundry will be the ONLY thing going into this separate 4" leaving the foundation. When it was in the cellar there was no vent.

1. Do I need a vent? If so, is there a way to do this without exiting the house? - like a loop above or something?
2. I built the 2" trap already using long sweep 90's and afterwards wonder if this could be any problem (too much water in the trap).
Thanks for any help, Tom

Old 03-09-07, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will need a vent as well as a ptrap under the floor. However, you may be able to use a Studor valve since you have a dedicated exit location. Vent pipes have to be tilted toward the drain so they don't collect water. If they have any opposite tilting, you will negate the venting process as you will then have an unintentional ptrap.

Old 03-09-07, 06:22 AM
T
Thanks for the reply. All of my research told me to install the trap ABOVE the floor. I was hoping to use an aav but not sure of which type and at what height it should be?? I was going to pipe my trap(about 12" off the floor) into a tee and then have a riser with the aav just below the top of the washer. This would put the standpipe at 25" above the trap and about 42" off the floor. Comments?

Old 03-09-07, 04:15 PM
I only suggested the ptrap below the floor for pretty, not functional. Your idea seems to have it wrapped up, in using the AAV.

Old 03-09-07, 05:13 PM
T
Thanks Larry,
Any problems you can think of with using the aav vs. going to the trouble to venting another way?

Old 03-09-07, 07:55 PM
T
I am finding some opinions that the use of the aav should be in the trap arm. I already am piped from trap to a tee (draining down to the basement) and was thinking of having the aav above the tee. Is this OK? It would not really be in the trap arm.

Old 03-10-07, 04:28 AM
Normal installation would place it in the trap arm. The purpose of the AAV is to keep the column of water in the ptrap and not have it sucked down when water passes it, so putting the AAV on the opposite side of the trap from the washer will serve the purpose. Is that what you needed?

Old 03-10-07, 07:36 AM
T
Not sure what you mean by "opposite side" of the trap. I am talking about the tee which the trap drains into on the 1st floor - and was thinking of putting the aav just on top of that. So, it would not actually be in the arm but close to it.

Old 03-10-07, 09:42 AM
T
Also - is one type aav better than another for this use??

Old 03-10-07, 12:56 PM
The AAV will be only used for the washer, so as your stand pipe goes down into the trap and the trap finishes its turn, the AAV should be installed on that side. I am not sure about the tee, and where it goes or comes from, but if it is a drain from upstairs, it may be vented anyway. Have you checked that out yet?

Old 03-10-07, 05:19 PM
T
Larry,
There is nothing on this drain but the laundry - it is an independent system and I an piping it from scratch (now on the 1st floor). I guess I have not been very clear- sorry. There is nothing above. I just put the tee in yesterday as the fitting to divert down to the basement and allow for a future vent/temorary vent. I afterwards have questions about the acceptable aav location(s).
Thanks for you ongoing help and interest.

Old 03-10-07, 06:04 PM
Where I am getting a little lost is the tee. If you are running a virgin line with a ptrap from the first floor to the basement, where is the tee and what is it teeing? You said for a future vent, so I am assuming the tee part is capped off in the basement. If that is the case, the AAV or Studor valve can be installed at that point. Let us know.

Old 03-10-07, 06:39 PM
T
I wish I could draw it - darn. Try to follow - I will take it fitting by fitting. From the Standpipe - it is about 26" long and about 40" off the floor. Next is a 2" trap I made with 3 elbows connectected with 3" pieces of 2"pipe. Next comes the trap arm of about 10" in length. Now - to get the drain into the cellar I used a tee (I guess I could have used a Y but I thought a tee was fine. This is the tee I keep referring to. This tee is not in the basement but above the 1st floor. The tee allows for the the system to turn down into the basement instead of just a 90.

So, the two ends of the tee are as follows: one end down to the basement eventually tieing into the 4". The other end of the tee points up. I installed a short piece of pipe (about 16" long and will put the aav on top of it. At a later time I can cut off the pipe and vent to the roof. I just want to be sure this is OK for now??

Last edited by tomfmal; 03-10-07 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-11-07, 12:04 PM
Sorry for all the questions, but bad advice isn't free. What you are proposing is absolutely correct, attach the AAV to the top of the tee, and allow for future venting through the roof. You are placing the AAV on the opposite side of the trap, as I had suspected, but had to make sure. This will keep the water in the trap. Good luck with the install.

Old 03-12-07, 08:30 AM
T
ha ha good one - thanks for reassuring me and for all the great feedback, I appreciate it, tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: