New bathroom sink, can't install drain line

Old 03-10-07, 02:51 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New bathroom sink, can't install drain line

Today, I removed our old wall mount sink and replaced it with a pedestal sink. All has been going well...until I tried to hook up the drain. The drain on the new sink is about 2-3" away from the p-trap. What can I use to connect the drain to the p-trap?

I tried buying a p-trap kit from the hardware store that came with an extended outlet tube. I figured I could cut the outlet tube to size and get the p-trap where I need it. Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the outlet tube from the drain line (that's mounted inside the wall)

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-07, 07:06 PM
A
Any chance you can post some pictures?

Old 03-11-07, 05:47 AM
G
Yep! I will post some pics in a bit. I'm going to head downstairs in a few and try a few things first. I do have a bit of flexible plastic pipe that I "may" be able to work with. Right now, the angle is such that I can't get the plastic pipe to sit flush on the drain coming from the sink.

Old 03-11-07, 01:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you can't get the outlet tube out of the wall, which sounds like that is what your problem is, causing your short length issue, they do sell slip couplings in both PVC and metal to join up the two outlets; the one in the wall and the cut-shorter p-trap outlet tube. *I* have one of these under a rental sink, I recently put in.

IF you are too "close" for even the slip coupler, being to close to the j-bend of the p-trap, then we have to address, leaving the p-trap outlet longer and cutting off some of the wall outlet pipe some. Oh. That might be better anyway as you can get to it easier that way (while standing off to the side of the pedestal sink) to tighten or loosen if you have to, in the pedestal sink application.

Old 03-11-07, 02:22 PM
G
I got it!

I found a basically what looks like a P-trap, with a flexible end that connects to the drain. Of course, the one I bought was a 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 so the fit was not as snug as I would have liked the 1 1/4 pipe come from the wall. But it works!

I've installed a few sinks and this one was the most challenging. I've never run into an issue like this that took so long to resolve.

Old 03-11-07, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So you had an alignment issue as well as a depth issue then? Glad you fixed it though. That ought to make you feel good for the rest of the day.

Old 03-11-07, 03:19 PM
G
Yes, two issues rolled into one. I tried to compensate for the depth issue by cutting off some of the drain tube....the flex pipe just wouldn't work. The new adapter fits very well though. I wish I found that yesterday...it would have saved a lot of aggravation!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: