Outside faucet repair

Old 03-11-07, 08:19 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside faucet repair

I have a Woodford outdoor faucet that froze busting the casing. I'm assuming this because if the faucet is turned on, water starts dripping out of a window casing inside the house. I don't know if it is soldered in or screwed in. The home exterior is stucco and the inside room is finished where the pipe is located. Should this be repaired from the outside or inside? Either way means refinishing, but i'm not sure which would be most cost effective. Please advise.

Old 03-11-07, 09:47 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Interesting timing on your problem... I just replaced my neighbors frost free faucet this morning as he left the hose attached and it burst inside the walls....

Drywall is cheaper and easier to remove/replace than Stucco.... On the other hand, most frost free faucet assemblies are able to be screwed into a female fitting as well as soldered in place - and, it's possible you could unscrew it and replace it. However, there are a few issues with trying to do so.. If it's soldered in - or even threaded with really tight threads - you risk breaking off the pipe inside the wall, creating a bad situation until it's properly repaired... If, by chance you can unscrew it, you may or may not be able to get a replacement threaded properly and leak tight.

I'm afraid your facing cutting a piece of drywall out - repairing the pipe - and patching the hole you created.

Good luck!!

Old 03-12-07, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
One follow up, if I may. When you install the new sillcock, make sure you use the nylon wedge on the top half of the flange. This will force the sillcock to be pointed downward so as to completely allow all the water to exit the tube when it is turned off. I feel yours had no wedge installed and the water remained in the tube when it froze. And I agree with Thezster that drywall is easier to repair and will put you right where you need to be than trying it from the outside. If it is in a corner, you may want to install a small access panel instead of repairing the drywall, just in case you have to do it again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: