main drain

Old 03-12-07, 01:51 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
main drain

Ten years ago a person had to chip away atwhere the main meets the house with a 3 lb hammer and a pipe. It was packed very hard. Now the hoses sinks, drains, washing maching sinks are full.
What are my options? I hope it isn't some big company which I can't get a quote from. Thank you

Old 03-12-07, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You mean like he had to try to drive out hardened gunk or maybe even plaster out from the 4 inch pipe? How was he able to gain access to the 4 inch to where he was able to swing away like that?

Old 03-13-07, 06:55 AM
P
main

Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
You mean like he had to try to drive out hardened gunk or maybe even plaster out from the 4 inch pipe? How was he able to gain access to the 4 inch to where he was able to swing away like that?
He was working from the inside out and the stuff was really hard to chip away at. After removing the washing machine there was the main just sticking out of the concrete wall - I thight by now there was a tool to make the job easier.

Old 03-13-07, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I still don't follow this exactly. I can't think where people have 4 inch mains behind things where they have to go in and chip away at stuff. Are we talking up off the floor where a "clean out" is? You say nothign about taking off a cover plate first or anything. Your post is a bit to minimalistic. Please explain more detail as we should be able to at least understand what is going on. Also you make no mention of what the hard stuff is that you are chipping away at.

Old 03-14-07, 05:59 AM
P
main

Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
I still don't follow this exactly. I can't think where people have 4 inch mains behind things where they have to go in and chip away at stuff. Are we talking up off the floor where a "clean out" is? You say nothign about taking off a cover plate first or anything. Your post is a bit to minimalistic. Please explain more detail as we should be able to at least understand what is going on. Also you make no mention of what the hard stuff is that you are chipping away at.
>>>You are right. I was trying to advise my brother in another state so my descriptions were not accurate. He got a company to snake it for $350.
Best I can figure the verticle pipes running to the horizontal main were full b/c the main was blocked. He said the big horizontal pipe was buried in a sump full of pea stone. Anyway the man cleared 75' of drain to the street and did a thorough flush. I guess he entered the pipe at the trap.
Sorry about the vague diagram and thanx for the patience and help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: