sweating

Old 03-13-07, 01:51 PM
sweating

when I prep my copper for sweating, I'm concerned about the solder flowing good enough, so I always use lots of flux to make sure everything is covered. Can I be using too much? Is there such a thing as too much? I use enough so when I slide the peices together, I get a little bead of flux pushed out.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-07, 02:04 PM
Wink

You need flux there for sure . Dont you put some like a little inside the L also??? Just make sure the copper is good and clean

Old 03-13-07, 03:39 PM
Who
Yes, it is possible to use too much. You only need a thin layer. Ensure you have complete coverage of just the joint area... and always wipe thoroughly afterwards.

The flux attracts the solder. That's its job. After you have soldered the joint, the flux becomes a liability. Excess flux will cause corrosion.

Old 03-13-07, 09:22 PM
Yes, I flux both pieces. I spend a lot of time making sure I have full coverage. I think I may be spending too much time. Altough I haven't had a leaker in over 20 years ( knock on wood ). I suppose spending the time once is better than fixing it.

Old 03-14-07, 09:04 AM
Who
I flux the pipe ends only - not the fittings. If you flux the fittings, the pipe end is just going to push most of the flux deep inside the fitting off the end where it does no good and can actually do harm through corrosion unless you really flush a lot of water through it afterwards. I do twist thoroughly once I put the fitting on to ensure even coverage.

Those are my flux thoughts. I'm happy to be wrong so long as y'aren't Mrs Who.

Old 03-17-07, 12:39 PM
I always flux the pipe and fittings and I don't have any problems. It just ensures theres enough on it. ALWAYS wipe the joints off after soldering and cooling it down.