'Push' couplings for pex?

Old 03-13-07, 06:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'Push' couplings for pex?

Howdy-

So I'm about to engage in some major re-plumbing in the house I'm about to buy. I love the idea of pex. I saw how the tool costs $175 at a big box retailer near me and how the components aren't bad at all.

Next to it, I saw a line of plumbing components where you just push the pipe into the fitting and that's it. It says it's suitable for pex, copper, and cpvc. I can understand the physics of how it might work, but I'm here today because I have to ask...

...should I consider this?

I doesn't look strong to me and seems to scream for problems. On the other hand, it will be waaay cheaper to buy this stuff (price per component is more than pex but there's no tool needed) and Im only doing one house (thus, what would I need the pex tool for after I'm done?)

Just looking for opinions/thoughts/experiences on this stuff.

-Chris

Old 03-13-07, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Chris: I haven't used them, yet, but was at the supply house yesterday and asked a couple of plumbers what they thought of them, and they raved about them. A little costly for an entire house job, but a really good product. And reusable, too. Just press on the collar and the pipe is released. Ideal for repairs in tight spaces.

Old 03-14-07, 09:08 AM
Who
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are talking about Shark-bite fittings I have yet to hear anything bad about them. One thing you might consider if buying the tool and then putting it up an e-bay once you're done with it - you might break even on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: