noisy radiators

Old 03-16-07, 04:53 AM
B
BRN
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
noisy radiators

I have gas steam heat with a manual feed to my boiler. The fill tube shows that it is full at all times no matter if I drain the boiler or not. My radiators are klunking which is fairly new. I have drained the boiler to the point where the water coming out starts sputtering. (It isn't pouring out and still the fill tube shows that it's full.) My radiators are getting hot.

I am on the cusp of replacing this 40 year old boiler, so am not that concerned, but the noise is new. Do I have too much or too little water in the boiler?

Help!

Old 03-16-07, 09:07 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If by your writing "fill tube" you mean the sight glass on the boiler that shows the water level then you need to shut down the boiler, let it cool and then clean the sight glass. You may need to remove the sight glass fittings and also clean them along with the holes where they connect to the boiler.

By having no idea of where the water level is in the boiler you have risked destroying the boiler. In fact, with your draining it you may have already caused irreparable damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: