Washer Draining

Old 03-18-07, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Washer Draining

Sorry for the length, but I have been working on this one for awhile. Have a house built in 50's, I've been in it for 4. The washer standpipe overflows if left unattended, problem has gotten worse lately. The vent stack is about 10 feet down the line, 2 inch drain pipe is in concrete for about 5 feet before crawl space. Have put enzyme pipe cleaner to help save pipes over the years, but lately have tried liquid plumber and the snake stuff. Have run snake and and high pressure water down vent stack. Also have put hot water down standpipe on high pressure for minutes and can't get it to back up. Sorry for the length, but and ideas or help would be appreciated, tired of using a timer to wash my clothes. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 11:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you cleaned the vent pipe out from the roof, yet? If not, it may pay to go up there with a garden hose and chug the blockage until it releases. Be safe, and don't do it if you don't feel safe doing it. It ain't the fall, it is the sudden stop.

Old 03-18-07, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Obviously your "high pressure" doesn't come up to the volume released by the washer. If only you could hire the fire dept with their bigger hose to flush it out. But since you can't, and it sounds like you have tried all the normal stuff...either you will have to hire a drain cleaning outfit or rent an auger with a bigger head on the end, and do that, or....

...try, at least temporarily, to use one of those connectors, or invent a variation of one yourself, where you join up your washing machine discharge hose to the standpipe by a gray rubber reducer coupling that has 2 band clamps on it. The water then cannot leak out the standpipe.

It MAY cause the machine to drain out somewhat slower and MAY be harder on the machine. But you could end up water blasting out your pipe in due time. After a number of washes, you could remove the adapter and see if you accomplished this. If not, it is your choice as to leave that adapter on the discharge pipe or not. *I* have and haven't seen machines wrecked from it, but this will be your call, and you could call an appliance place to get their opinion on this too.