How to pressure test ?

Old 03-18-07, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to pressure test ?

I just installed a new drain line in some new construction. Before I put up the drywall was wondering if I sould pressure test the drain line. Does anyone do this, if so how is it done ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You should, but are all the other drain lines sealed? You said "new construction", so I am assuming you haven't installed any fixtures yet. If all the drains are sealed, seal this one and attach a pressure gauge/filler tool to the system and test it. You will probably have to do this for the inspector, anyway, so check with them, too.

Old 03-19-07, 07:21 AM
Yes this is a short new line and both ends are not connected and easily visable. So do I plug one end with a rubber stopper and seal the other end with a gauge of some sort? I assume I just use air to test ? I used schedule 40 so what pressure do I test to (40 psi ?) and how how long does it need to hold for ?

Old 03-19-07, 11:51 AM
Pressure test line

Originally Posted by MikeRR View Post
I just installed a new drain line in some new construction. Before I put up the drywall was wondering if I sould pressure test the drain line. Does anyone do this, if so how is it done ?
Are you working on a permit?, if so the local code will dictate what kind of test they require.

Old 03-20-07, 05:32 AM
No I'm not working on a permit for this job. It's a simple diy 15 foot length from my basement workbench sink send a nearby drain line.

So can anyone help me with the basics (in previous note) to do this ?

Old 03-20-07, 08:05 AM
Testing drain line

They are two basic methods for testing drain lines.

Water test: You must plug or seal the line close to it"s terminal, add a vertical 10ft. lenght of pipe to the far connection upstream, fill to the top with water, if the water drops you have a leak.

Air test: You still have to plug off the line and hook something up where you can pump air in, I would not go beyond 5lb. pressure on pvc. These hook-ups you have to design to fit your system; remember they will be taken out when you are done the test.

I think that you are getting too concerned about testing, unless you think that you have a prob. with your joints you shouldn't need it. Unless code required most lines are not tested. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 03-20-07, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I agree that unless you had a problem gluing it up you shouldn't worry about it.
As long as you followed directions you shouldn't have any problems.