Pex...

Old 03-21-07, 10:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pex...

I'm thinking about updating my plumbing in my old home and am thinking about using PEX. What would be the best way to make connections? Is crimping the best? I saw a tool being used on a this old house episode and it looked like it makes a better connection then crimping, but I can't find out information about the tool or technique. Anybody have anythoughts on the best way?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-07, 02:02 PM
G
Crimping is pretty much the only way to do PEX. There are some special fittings for 1/2" you can get, but they're pricey- they're good for tight spots where it's tough to use a crimping tool, though.

Be warned- you'll need at least 3/4" and 1/2" crimpers, and they're each over $100. Beg or borrow if you can! It's almost trivially easy to use though- PEX almost seems too cheap and easy to be real Just be careful to get the rings in the right spot before you crimp.

Old 03-21-07, 03:28 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Besides crimping... there is an expander tool that inserts into the tubing/ring - expands it so you can put it over a fitting - then when released, the tubing/ring tightens down on the fitting. I bought the tool new for around $169 as I recall - and sold it on E-bay when finished for $170... I really enjoyed the PEX experience - it was so much quicker than copper and solder.

Old 03-21-07, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

The crimp tool has worked just fine for us.

Old 03-21-07, 04:11 PM
A
Wirsbo(sp) pipe, which is basicly PEX is the expanding kind. I haven't seen any problems with it yet. PEX pipe with crimp rings is a lot quicker tho. There are pros and cons with both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: