Shower pan drain- attaching to copper

Old 03-27-07, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower pan drain- attaching to copper

I am getting ready to remodel main floor bathroom and am starting in the shower. I plan to go down to the studs and also make a new concrete shower pan. The home center sold me a plastic drain kit for tile. The plumbing in my house is all copper including the waste lines. My question is how do i connect the plastic drain kit to the existing copper? Dont think I can just use the PVC glue (the stuff i have used in the past to attach pvc to pvc).

Now, I havent even started this project yet. Maybe I will get a better idea once I see how the current plastic pan attaches to the copper pipes i see in the basement ceiling. I have been looking all over this site and have gotten some good ideas I know I will use throughout this project, but everything shows houses with existing Plastic piping for the waste lines.

Any ideas?? Do I need a different type of drain kit that is made for copper?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The shower drain supplied will probably have a slip connection, meaning it will fit snugly over pvc without gluing. Not sure what the od of your copper is, so it may require you to transition from 2" copper to 2" pvc below the floor level. If you can't locate a transition piece, you could possibly use a fernco fitting to connect the two together and allow the use of the shower drain you have. Post back as you get started and see if we can help further.

Old 03-28-07, 05:04 PM
Check your local codes before connecting the drain pan to the main waste drain. If they allow it, you will need a P-trap(or S-trap) to prevent the smell from coming up through. You will have to add water to it regularly because it will dry out. You will be better off running it outside or perhaps into a laundry sink in a lower floor

Old 03-30-07, 08:43 AM
Thanks

Thanks - I will keep you up to date once i get into it more.

Old 03-30-07, 04:21 PM
Whoops! Ignore my post above, I was thinking of a drain pan for some reason.