Kitchen Sink Shutoff Valves

Old 03-28-07, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Kitchen Sink Shutoff Valves

I've done a number of replumbing in the past, and each time, I've always used either multi-turn or quarter-turn valves at the kitchen sink location for the ice maker, dishwasher and sink (the usual chromed valves seen for most sink shutoffs).

While taking down the old kitchen in my current house, I noticed they used what look like gate valves for the sink and dishwasher, and it got me to thinking. In my old house, with the chromed valves, the dishwasher and ice maker filling was always very loud, and in this house, with the gate valves, the dishwasher filling was nearly silent.

Instead of the "standard" valves, should I be using full-port ball valves to reduce water noise? Since they will be in the cabinet, I don't need it to look pretty. What do the experts here usually use as kitchen shutoffs?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Copper vs. PVC DWV

-- separate question moved to a new post. Oops --

Old 03-28-07, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The 1/4 turn valves are ball valves. The gate valves require multiple turns and you don't get the full flow out of it. Ball valves require a 1/4 turn and give you the full flow. I would go with 1/4 turn where ever you can.

Are the gate valves in your new house soldered onto the pipe? It will still get reduced down to 3/8 pipe(or 1/4") reguardless of what kind of valves you use. The dishwasher and fridge might also make more noise since it has its own electronic value in the unit, which might cause the noise.

Old 03-29-07, 06:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gate valves are soldered on.

In my old house, the sound was of the rushing water. You could hear the solenoid clicking on and off, but I figure that is what it is. I had also used the braided 3/8" line for the DW and braided 1/4" line for the icemaker. I assume it would be the same as any other piping material on the inside.

So just using the chromed 1/4 turn ball valves would be the way to go?

Thanks,
Mike