Copper vs. PVC DWV

Old 03-28-07, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Copper vs. PVC DWV

(yet another question)

I'm in the process of a kitchen remodel. The whole house is currently plumbed in copper (supply and DWV). The kitchen sink is being relocated, and my current plan is to re-plumb it with copper drains since I've read that it's better overall and to keep with the quality of the house.

Question #1)
If I plumb the drains with copper, is there anything stopping me from doing the vents in PVC?

Question #2)
If the vents are done in PVC, is there any problem (code or otherwise) with using PVC from the sink up to the attic, then converting to copper to go through the roof? (to keep the aesthetic of copper vents on the roof)

Question #3)
Is doing the drains in copper really worth the additional cost and time? Or should I just do this section in PVC since it'll end up being covered anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike - How old is your house? The reason I ask is that I've never seen copper DWV. I'm not a plumber, but I've worked in some newer upscale houses and they all had PVC DWV.

What is the advantage of copper over PVC? In my opinion it's just the opposite. PVC is easier to work with and doesn't corrode. A plumber might correct me here, but I believe solvent joints are more reliable than soldered ones.

Old 03-28-07, 11:41 AM
Copper vs pvc

No.1. No.

No.2. No, but if you are in the attic you can probably tie into an existing line without making another hole thru the roof.

No.3. No, it is not worth the additional frustration of playing with copper. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 03-28-07, 03:49 PM
Copper drains and vents are great. You see them all the time in housing from the 60's and early 70's. Only 3 real choices back then; galvanized, cast iron, or copper.

Now, the price of copper is so high compared to other materials which may give better performance or durability over many years. Hey, it's your money, but people really look more at the paint and landscaping of the place.

good luck with your project.

Old 03-28-07, 05:00 PM
Don't use copper. They will eventually leak. PVC last a lot longer than copper will.

The used to use copper because it beat the alternative, but you won't see it now. It isn't worth the hassle or the money. I have, however, seen PVC ran to the attic than changed to copper for the vent to meet the look requirments.

Old 03-29-07, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Thank you all for your quick replies.

I read the benefits of copper pipe in Peter Hemp's book, Plumbing a House. He stated that the copper DWV pipe heats up with the hot water, and helps the grease stay liquid while it drains. I agree with a lot of his other recommendations, and this sounded reasonable... but of course, I don't recall the last time I had a plugged up kitchen drain.

Based on the recommendations, I've decided to use PVC and only copper up through the roof. While I'm getting much better at soldering, the time that it would have taken was scaring me a bit.

FYI, the house was built sometime in the 60's. I've been quite impressed by the overall construction. All the drains are copper, the floor joists are upsized twice (2x12 as opposed to required 2x8), etc. I'm not sure if all the homes in the neighborhood are copper, but I assume many are based on the vents.

Thanks again for the help!

-Mike

Old 03-29-07, 09:15 AM
I used to own a house built in 1960 that had all copper DWV piping. I can't imagine what that would cost today.

Old 03-29-07, 09:43 AM
When you run your kitchen drain, make sure its 2" if you can. Its has a better chance of clogging up than the other drains because of whats dumped down it.