Tub trap style

Old 03-28-07, 07:31 AM
Tub trap style

I'm installing a PVC trap for a tub drain. Which is better (more reliable), a two piece solvent welded trap or a two piece trap with a threaded mechanical joint. The trap will be between two floors where access to fix a leak will be very difficult.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 07:37 AM
BOA
I'm thinking about the future and I'd go with the treaded type of trap. I understand access is difficult but, I haven't had any problems with a correctly installed threaded trap and getting something that has clogged the drain (hair) is a lot easier.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-28-07, 11:02 AM
Pvc Trap

Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I'm installing a PVC trap for a tub drain. Which is better (more reliable), a two piece solvent welded trap or a two piece trap with a threaded mechanical joint. The trap will be between two floors where access to fix a leak will be very difficult.
I think that the pvc solvent welded is the way to go, if you don't have what you consider reasonable access, don't use the lock-nut, lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 03-28-07, 04:48 PM
I have had this discussion with any number of subs. Use the threaded connection.

Now for the reason. Once glued, you had better made sure the proper angle is used for any offset. Not all drains are ran straight and true.....

Good luck with your project...

Old 03-29-07, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by notuboo View Post
I have had this discussion with any number of subs. Use the threaded connection.

Now for the reason. Once glued, you had better made sure the proper angle is used for any offset. Not all drains are ran straight and true.....

Good luck with your project...
The reasoning here eludes me.

In both instances, the pieces have to fit square, whether glued or nutted. And if you can pivot the nutted variety at an angle, so can you glue up the p-trap at an angle.

Old 03-29-07, 07:37 PM
Not all bathtubs are on on first floors of houses with drains totally exposed.

In some commercial applications, you have incredibly tight places to fit drains which was easily done when original construction was taking place. There have been times that drains have to be installed, mainly by feel, then a person can inspect the work with mirrors. Not everyone can tear out a ceiling when needed, it depends on the job.

The threaded traps are much easier to install for the average Joe. Just my opinion from doing this for over 30 years.