Relocating Gas Stove

Old 03-29-07, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating Gas Stove

I have a very small kitchen and want to hire someone to move the gas stove to a different wall. Whay will be the cost and safety issues in moving the gas line?

Moderators Note:
Question moved from gas appliances topic.
Question has to do with piping and not appliance repairs.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-30-07 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-07, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Almost anything can be done for a cost.

It sounds like you are going to have the job done anyway. If so, get a few bids.

If you want to try a handyman type of guy that might have a good reputation amongst friends, that be up to, and any insurance risk.

Old 03-30-07, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
It will most certainly vary based on the amount of work that needs to be done to move it.

To give you a reference, I had a plumber come out to do the exact same thing. The pipe had to be rerouted a bit in the crawlspace and pop up about 24" to the left.
He charged by the hour ($89/hr I think), and it took him 2 hours. Your mileage of course may vary.

As a side note, I've become a big believer in paying plumbers by the hour. A year prior, I had a plumber come out and give me a price on connecting a shower (that I had plumbed) to the existing cast iron drain - which I was having problems doing. He quoted $550 since he might have to cut out a piece of cast iron, etc. Since I couldn't do it, I agreed. He came back the next week, finished it in about an hour and 15 minutes - didn't have to cut out any iron pipe, and asked me for the $550 check. *gasp*
I guess I could have argued, but I was happy to have it done. He obviously wasn't invited back for other work though!

Old 03-30-07, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So then...what are you going to do?

Old 03-31-07, 06:02 AM
In almost all jurisdictions, any work on gas requires a permit. In many areas, such as S. Calif. where I am, a homeowner can pull the permit and do work himself, then get it inspected, which will involve a pressure test on the new piping. An unlicensed handyman, no matter how well qualified you may think he is, cannot pull permits and do this work.

You didn't mention if you need to move it 12" or 12'. Wherever you need to move it, the piping will run through the walls, over the attic, or under the crawl space, depending on the layout of your house. The total amount of materials to do this job are pretty modest, but you can imagine that the labor will be the big cost depending on whether this is a one hour job or an all day job.