sink trap size

Old 03-29-07, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sink trap size

I had to reconnect all plumbing in the kitchen since we put a deeper sink. The disposal is now a lot lower than before and in order to make all connections I had to extend the depth of the trap by 6 inches. So imagine a "U" with both ends being 6 inches long and then turns to the main. Is this going to be a problem?? Everything seems to be running OK, however I am a bit concerned since the drain water has to go additional distance straight up.

Any advice is appreciated.

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-07, 10:28 AM
Kitchen sink trap

Anytime you change a sink to a deeper one the height of the entrance of the drain should be lowered unless it is low to start with. What you have done is going to cause problems with the future operations, sorry.

Old 03-29-07, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
What you have done is going to cause problems with the future operations, sorry.
What sort of problems?

A.

Old 03-29-07, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The ptrap is meant to hold a plug of water to keep sewer gasses from entering your house. You will have the plug there, but now the water leaving your sink/disposer will have to lift that plug an additional 6" to get to the waste arm going to your wall. This may cause back ups in your disposer or in the sink, or slow draining.

Old 03-29-07, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Out of curiousity, what is the height of the middle of the drain pipe through the wall, off your floor. (At front of sink cabinet, measure the height from floor to the bottom shelf (like 4 1/2 inches?), and then add the measurement of from there to the middle of the drain pipe through the wall. 18 total inches?
That used to be the norm, but they may have increased that height by 2 inches because they have increased the height of the tops of bathroom vanities since people are taller these days.

Old 03-30-07, 07:46 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies. I realized I had water standing in the disposer, was not draining right since the entrance to the main was too high. I cut down the main which was sticking way too high from the floor of the cabinet, reconnected everything and now water drains properly. The entrance to the main is now below disposer exit.
Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Old 03-30-07, 12:41 PM
Kitchen trap height

DaVeBoy: There is no normal rough-in for a kitchen sink, they have to be calulated by the installation, height of counter, depth of sink, and the disposal that will be installed.

If someone can't the best bet is to put it low, you can always hook-up a low rough-in, but too high and you are fxxked. 18in. is too high.

I'm not trying to pizz you off, info. only. Luck.