Foreign Object in Drain

Old 04-02-07, 08:10 PM
Foreign Object in Drain

First, I am a RENTER! (I figure that's kind of important to know b/c I have no ambition to tear anything apart.)
Second, I bought a drain brush to move along hair and whatnot from my tub drain. I stopped pushing the brush down the drain when I hit something about 5" down. I began to pull it out & tugged once. Then it BROKE off leaving the brush INSIDE the drain. UGH!
What do I do?
I'd love to show pics of both the brush and the type of drain I have, but apparently the IMG codes are turned off for this forum.
In any case, it's an old tub with an old drain -- the kind that requires a plastic stopper if you want to take a bath.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-07, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
You can post pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and let us know the url. Before we go too much further, can you access under the tub, say from a crawl space or basement?

Old 04-03-07, 05:08 AM
can you see the broken end ?

Old 04-03-07, 05:24 AM
What I would try 1st is this. Go to the hardware store and buy a 4'-5' section of 5/16" all thread and bend a hook on the end and try fishing it out with that.

Old 04-03-07, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
What I would try 1st is this. Go to the hardware store and buy a 4'-5' section of 5/16" all thread and bend a hook on the end and try fishing it out with that.
Making something to reach down into the drain and hook the brush isn't a bad idea but use thinner material than 5/16.You'll have a difficult time bending this thickness of stock.3/16 would be easier and do the job.

Old 04-03-07, 09:12 AM
You're absolutly correct. I had a math brain fart an wanted to suggest smaller than 1/4" and gave a larger size.

Old 04-03-07, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You can post pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and let us know the url. Before we go too much further, can you access under the tub, say from a crawl space or basement?
I hope this works...

Here's the best pic I could find of the drain brush -- http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/Alicia_in_NYC/201%20Gates%20Ave%20Apt/DrainCleanerBrush.jpg

And here's a pic of my drain -- http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/Alicia_in_NYC/201%20Gates%20Ave%20Apt/IMG_0097.jpg

AND, NO. I cannot access a crawl space. I am in the second floor apt. of an old Brownstone-type building.

Old 04-03-07, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
can you see the broken end ?
No. I cannot see the broken end. I just posted a link to view two pics...the pic of my drain was taken *after* the brush broke off.

Old 04-03-07, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
I've never heard of "all thread." Is it just heavy duty wire? I like your thinking!!

Old 04-04-07, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by AliciaP-in_NYC View Post
I've never heard of "all thread." Is it just heavy duty wire? I like your thinking!!
All thread is a metal rod that has screw threads all the way down it's length.You can also get the rod without threading.I think either way would work for you.

A salesperson in a real hardware store can help you pick out what will work best from their stock.

Old 04-04-07, 05:41 AM
all thread is just a long steel bolt without head , it would be the last thing I would try.it would be very difficult to bend a hook with all thread

talk to the guy in the hardware store and get some brass or copper rod .

(or try a coat hanger )

Old 04-04-07, 09:05 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
You should be able to use a small drain snake and just bend the tip out a little for a hook that will snare the brush tip, then you can pull it out. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-04-07, 11:04 AM
The brush must have broken off for a reason i.e. it snagged something. Trying to force it out may cause more damage to the trap. Does this tub have a trip lever drain?

Old 04-05-07, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpro View Post
The brush must have broken off for a reason i.e. it snagged something. Trying to force it out may cause more damage to the trap. Does this tub have a trip lever drain?
No. It's just an old type of drain. I posted a link to a picture of it in one of my previous posts.

Old 04-05-07, 02:23 PM
Have you tried any of the remedies suggested?

Old 04-05-07, 03:54 PM
Red face

Not yet -- although I will either tonight or over the weekend. (The last few days have been haired what with getting ready for the holiday & all.)
First, I will try the coat hanger technique. Only because where I live in Brooklyn, going to the nearest hardware store involves a lot of walking, a subway, and a bus.
Believe me, I will *totally* let y'all know what happens or happened...and of course, ask more questions if I find I've opened Pandora's Box!