Outdoor Tap Leaks

Old 04-03-07, 12:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Tap Leaks

I have an outdoor tap that is used for attaching a hose to for gardening and it leaks when turned off. Does the entire pipe have to be replaced back into the house or is there a value/gasket that just needs to be replaced. If its the gasket/value I would like to attempt it myself, how I go about this. Thanks.

Old 04-03-07, 01:14 PM
S
I'll assume this is a common outside hose spigot sometimes called an angled sillcock.The handle is attched to a stem which screws into the body of the spigot.The stem has a washer on the other end from the handle which needs to be replaced.Remove the handle and then remove (can be just one or more than one) nuts and/or bushing holding the stem inside the spigot.The stem will then screw out of the spigot just like you're opening the spigot to let water out.Take the stem to a hardware store to get the proper washers as there are many sizes and types and you must get the proper one.

Obviously turn the water off to this valve.Hopefully the line to it will have it's own shut off valve in that line.

Depending on the spigot design there may be other washers or gaskets on the stem etc which should also be replaced while you have it apart.Also depending on the condition you may need to do more to it besides replace the washer to rehab it and it even could need total replacement.A qualified salesperson in a hardware store can assist you regardless.That does NOT mean Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 05-04-07, 03:35 PM
Outside Faucet Leak

I posted a while back about fixing an out door tap that leaks & am checking back to double check before I give it a try. See link for pics, and the steps to do this would be great. Thanks.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/KingstonBirder/Tap2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/KingstonBirder/Tap2.jpg

Last edited by 06Honda; 05-04-07 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 05-04-07, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
OK, you don't have a frost proof sillcock, but a standard angle short sillcock. Same instructions, but the stem will be really short as compared to 12+ for the frost proof ones. Turn off the water, loosen the collar nut, unscrew the stem and inspect the washer. Replace the washer and screw, replace the collar nut packing (it looks like white shoestrings) and reinstall.

Old 05-04-07, 05:13 PM
Tap

Thanks I give it a shot tomorrow and post back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: