Water/Drainage Question

Old 04-04-07, 11:16 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water/Drainage Question

I'm about to purchase a new-construction home and wanted to know your thoughts on the plumbing system. I'm not exactly sure the entire layout of it (yet, still waiting on specs) but I do know it is well water, septic system, and a hydro air system (which I think also heats the water?)

Anyways - this is a new-construction house. My concern is the well - it's a 600ft deep well, pump is submersible 1hp at 500ft. Puts out 8GPM. Well can hold roughly 700 gallons and has a yield of 2.5 to 3 GPM.

Is this sufficient? To me it sounds awfully low, especially considering the fact that I will have almost two acres of property that I need to water.

Also, wanted to know about the viability of using a garbage disposal with the septic system, if I used it only sparsely for very easily biodegradable foods (liquids, bread, fruit, etc. ) Not like whole plates of spaghetti or anything.

Oh, and also, there are no water filters right now on the system. I have test reports that have the following info:

pH - 7.3
Color - 10
Odor - 1
Turbidity - 1.9
Iron - .27
Hardness - 13
Sodium - 3.3
Chloride - 2.0
Sulfate - 7.0

Are these acceptable numbers?

I just don't want to get into a situatiion wher I am constantly running out of water. I will have a low-water usage dishwasher and washing machine in the house. Wife and I don't have kids yet so it's just the two of us but we do hope to have 2-3 kids in the next 5-10 years.

Thanks so much! I'm sure I'll be spending much more time here as I get adjusted to home ownership!

Old 04-04-07, 03:52 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Water two acres? Not with a well that has a recovery rate of only 2.5 to 3 gpm. Why not let god water the grounds? I hope you are not planning on having two acres of grass. Even with a 700 gallon draw down capacity you may find times when you run out of water.

Concerning the septic tank...no disposer is the preferred option, use a compost pile.

The water tests don't read all that nice to me but then I am used to the pristine mountain water of the pacific northwest. You have fairly high levels of alkalinity (pH 7.3) along with a high level of turbidity (cloudiness). The iron level I would consider high but maybe it is acceptable. The sulphate is gonna stink and the sodium and chlorides are (again, to me) high. I think that you will need some pretty fancy water treatment equipment and I suggest that you ask the question in the forum for filters and softeners.

As for the hydro-air heating system...it could be a primo installation or it could be a headache waiting to happen. I would need far more information before offering my opinion.

Old 04-04-07, 04:17 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furd
Water two acres? Not with a well that has a recovery rate of only 2.5 to 3 gpm. Why not let god water the grounds? I hope you are not planning on having two acres of grass. Even with a 700 gallon draw down capacity you may find times when you run out of water.

Concerning the septic tank...no disposer is the preferred option, use a compost pile.

The water tests don't read all that nice to me but then I am used to the pristine mountain water of the pacific northwest. You have fairly high levels of alkalinity (pH 7.3) along with a high level of turbidity (cloudiness). The iron level I would consider high but maybe it is acceptable. The sulphate is gonna stink and the sodium and chlorides are (again, to me) high. I think that you will need some pretty fancy water treatment equipment and I suggest that you ask the question in the forum for filters and softeners.

As for the hydro-air heating system...it could be a primo installation or it could be a headache waiting to happen. I would need far more information before offering my opinion.
Well the property is a total of 2.9 acres. Not sure how much is cleared - it probably is only an acre +/- which I would need to water. Either way the well doesn't sound that appealing right now with that low yield. I'm a little nervous coming from all homes that had city water and having an unlimited supply!

Thanks

Old 04-05-07, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I agree with furd, watering a lawn from a well is unheard of. If they had to drill 600', your water table is too far down to waste water on a lawn. God can do a much better job than well water, anyway, as the nutrients of rain water are much more beneficial than water from a well.
Also, unless you invest and maintain one of those disposers that inject enzymes into the waste, don't use one on a septic system.
Now as for the hydro air system, I am assuming this is a geothermal system with underground pipes and a pump to circulate it. I have a friend who installed one many years ago, and with minor maintenance still likes it. I don't know why we don't use the passive attributes of the earth to do things like heat and cool more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: