Washing Machine Drain

Old 04-04-07, 04:31 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine Drain

I have an 1-1/2" ABS drain from an upstairs washing machine running into my basement. I want to add another washing machine in our basement, can I have 2 washers draining into one 1-1/2" drain? or do I have to up it to 2" inch drain for the 2 machines?

thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-07, 08:30 PM
NO. The UPC requires a minimum 2" drain for one washing machine. As a practical matter, we have seen many homes with 1" drains, but they tend to be problematic with new machines. If you put to machines on a one and a half inch drain, you are guaranteed to have flooding/overflow problems.

Old 04-04-07, 09:13 PM
C
Do you think 2 machines on one 2 inch drain would be OK then?

Old 04-05-07, 03:25 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Not unless you could somehow ensure that both machines would never discharge to the drain at the same time.

Is it possible for one of the machines to discharge to a laundry tub that is connected to the drain? An open tub that will hold the entire amount of the discharge water and then drain through a standard 1-1/2 inch trap is common and perfectly acceptable.

Old 04-06-07, 07:11 AM
W
Don't want to hijack the thread, but can a anyone tell me why a 1 1/2" drain would not be adequate for a washing machine with a 1" discharge hose? I've always wondered why code requires a 2" drain for this.

Old 04-06-07, 04:58 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Wayne, if the washing machine drained by gravity through the 1 inch hose there would be no problem at all. But the washing machine doesn't drain by gravity, it has a pump and that pump discharges the water at high volume, better than 30 gallons a minute.

A 1-1/2 inch gravity drain cannot handle 30 gallons per minute. If you were to hard-connect the washing machine drain hose to the 1-1/2 inch drain it could handle the flow but it would then be a pressurized drain and that would create other problems.