Cleanout Plug Removal

Old 04-04-07, 12:31 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleanout Plug Removal

Hey there.. I'm trying to solve a problem for my mom, who has a washing machine drainpipe that backs up and overflows each time she runs a load. I was able to access the drainpipe on the backside of the wall, where I discovered that the PVC drainline is connected into an older cast iron pipe, at a Y-junction with a vertical vent up to the roof and a cleanout plug. I tried to remove the plug in order to try to find a clog, but although the fitting is cast iron, the plug is PVC and I failed miserably at trying to dislodge it with a wrench. Is there a trick for getting the plug out? Bigger tools? Cutting it out? Also, once I have it out, what is the best way to snake the pipe from the cleanout?

Thanks!!

Old 04-05-07, 08:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use a pipe wrench and a breaker bar and tap on the breaker bar with down force on it at the same time.

If it breaks which it might do, use a twist-in plug as the threads to the machined cast tee are probably dirty and in disrepair.

Snaking the drain is going to be either simple or difficult; no way of knowing until you try it. Just make sure that if you hit/approach a tight spot, do not take it through that tight spot; you can lodge the cable and get it stuck which will create an even bigger problem.

Take short runs through the line.....slightly dig into the clog until you notice the water dropping in the line or you keep pulling back whatever is obstructing the line.

It's difficult to explain in print how to properly use a cable....even with my years of experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: