Grey Water Diversion

Old 04-05-07, 06:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grey Water Diversion

I'm looking to divert household grey water (sinks, laundry, shower, etc) for use in the Garden. I'm aware of the risks and I still think its a good idea given the circumstances of my location.

Can anyone point me to a guide/DIY walk through on implementation? I saw an item on some television show that covered it in a cheap/easy fashion without any kits or the requirement of a plumber - but unfortunately their website sucks and I can't find the details.

Any tips would be most apprieciated.

Old 04-05-07, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check with local codes in your area to see if this idea is legal.

Grey Water can carry many harmful wastes along with other questionable products that result from its use.

Old 04-06-07, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Phosphates will be your biggest down turn. I used to divert gray water from our washing machine to a hay field through a drain field similar to a septic system, and had great results, but that was a farm, and there was no legal stipulations. I just didn't see why I would run 20 gallons of water into a septic system everytime the washer cycled, just to have it pumped out every 5 years. We used non phosphate detergents.

Old 04-06-07, 04:50 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Contact your local health department re: any restrictions for diverting gray water.

The following link is informative: http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/plant_culture/gray_water_for_gardens.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: