frostproof faucet seat repair

Old 04-08-07, 04:52 PM
frostproof faucet seat repair

I let my outdoor Mansfield frostproof faucet leak for too long, and the seat is now visibly damaged, so it won't seal completely even with a new washer. I have a home repair book that suggests using a seat grinder to restore the surface of a damaged faucet, but the illustration shows a bathroom type faucet. Anyone know if a grinder is available that can reach into a frostproof faucet, or will it be necessary to replace the faucet?

I don't know the model number (looked briefly, maybe I missed it if it's not conspicuous). It takes a 1/2" washer (size 00).

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-07, 07:15 PM
If you can easily get to the spigot, it will probably be easier to just replace the whole thing.

Old 04-09-07, 08:47 PM
Depends on what you mean by easy. It's inside a basement wall (textured and painted drywall), shoulder-high behind our dryer. So, it should be easy to expose by cutting a hole in the drywall, not trivial to repair the hole invisibly, but a non-invisible repair is OK. Could be worse. But if I could stick a tool in and grind a little, that would be great.
mx

Old 04-09-07, 09:37 PM
Wink

Go for the new Valve there and be done with it.

Old 04-10-07, 08:57 AM
Frostproof faucet

I have to agree with the other posts, trying to repair will cause more frustration and cost then replacing, lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"