Soldering Question

Old 04-14-07, 01:30 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Soldering Question

...so, a bit of a novice...i have issues with sweating ball valves..i have done several...less than 10,less than half have been ok, but it seams as though either i ruin the seal, or dont get the body hot enough to get a solid, reliable sweat. have heard to heat the pipe, and let it heat the body, also keep a wet rag around the body,and also cool the valve asap, but all seem to give me grief of some sort.
any suggestions?

Old 04-14-07, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
urbilly,

It could be that your torch is not hot enough.

A good value for the money is a Bernzomatic swirl tip torch burning Mapp gas.
If the temperature of the valve fitting rose more quickly it would keep the body of the valve from heating up as much.

There is a bit of a knack in knowing where to apply the heat.
You should play the heat slightly back and forth centering on the joint pointed away from the body.
At the point that the solder is going to melt move the heat a bit to the valve side of the joint to allow the solder to be drawn in.

A piece of wet rag wrapped around the center of the valve body may also help.

Bernzomatic torch:
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0707364

More soldering tips:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cutjoincopperpipe

Old 04-14-07, 08:32 AM
U
right on,

excellent advice...you know what, as i was pissing my self off last knight, trying to sweat the second valve, i said under my breath, "i bet i should be using mapp"....
and also with timing of bringing heat to the body side.
thats where i start....i appreciate the info

Old 04-14-07, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
You don't absolutely need to use Mapp or a swirl tip as trillions of joints have been made with a $10.00 hardware store propane torch.
A lot has to do with the technique of knowing exactly where the hottest part of the flame is.

I say this because if you do not have control of your heat the Mapp will overheat your joint quicker as well.

Old 04-14-07, 02:34 PM
U
thanks for the advice

point well taken, i will study up on flame dynamics, and heat control.

Old 04-14-07, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
A trick is when you play the heat back and forth a 1/2" or so and the solder begins to melt. move slightly toward the valve and move the heat slightly further from the joint.
Far enough to keep the joint from overheating but not too far that it cools too quickly.

Old 04-14-07, 05:13 PM
A
MAPP gas is far superior to propane and is recommended and I haven't had many problems overheating my fittings. Propane does work but it takes longer to heat up(never mind if there is ANY water in the pipe). Heat up one side and let the solder melt down it then move the torch to the other side and do the same thing, just to make sure it has heated up enough and the solder went all the way around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: