Stoping a Gate valve leak?

Old 04-17-07, 07:22 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stoping a Gate valve leak?

Anyone have any advice on stopping a small leak in my gate valve till I can afford to have it replaced with a ball valve? And does anyone know how much time/effort it would take to replace with a ball valve?

Old 04-17-07, 09:18 AM
Gate valve leak

Where on the gate valve is the leak?, is this a leak on the bonnet or a joint into the valve?, is this a screwed joint or sweat?

What is the access to the valve?

I can't answer without more info., sorry.

Old 04-17-07, 10:40 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If you mean that the valve does not stop the flow of water through the pipe then the only fix is a new valve.

Old 04-17-07, 12:40 PM
B
It's leaking from the stem? I think that would be the joint into the valve? I'm not sure if it's screwed or sweat but I think screwed (mostly because I don't know what sweat is.) I have to turn a knob to open and close it. My only access is a +/- 8" hole in the ground about 1.5' deep. Currently it's full of water from the leak. It'll stop if I close the valve compeltely.

Old 04-17-07, 01:25 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Tighten the hex fitting (packing nut) immediately below the handle. This should stop the leak from around the stem. If it doesn't then it will be necessary to remove the handle, remove the packing nut, remove the follower and add to (or remove and replace) the packing. Reassemble the valve and you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: