Annoying Sink Drain leak

Old 04-22-07, 07:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Annoying Sink Drain leak

Had to remove the J bend to retrieve a diamond earring the other day. When I put it back it leaked at the joint where the J meets the wall pipe. Applied new teflon tape and new rubber washer and it keeps leaking through the nut that joins them. Have done this three times thinking I just didn't get it on straight but it keeps leaking in the same spot. Should I replace the J bend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The J bend by the way is chrome.

Old 04-22-07, 10:07 AM
S
J bend leaks

Sir,

Without seeing it, did you clean the pipe prior to reinstalling the Jbend? Also you said that you used a new gasket...Not trying to insult you but is it the right size? And depending on the brand Jbend, you may have had to go with a plastic gasket rather than rubber.

The way I figure it. It's less than $10 at Home Depot or Loees for a new Jbend with gaskets. Just make sure its the right size.

Old 04-22-07, 10:38 AM
J
To be a little clearer, the old gasket was rubber so I found one same material and size. The gasket goes on the end of the pipe coming from the wall. There's a metal lip on that which prevents the nut from coming off the pipe so the J bend and the nut are original materials that worked before. would adding tape to that lip help, am I better off using putty inside the nut? Sorry, I'm a novice but just believe this is something I can do myself.

Old 04-22-07, 10:53 AM
A
As long as the old materials are not broken you can reuse them. Wrap the old gasket with tephlon tape then slide it back onto the pipe and screw it back onto the wall drain. Putting tape on the wall drain won't do much for you. If you decide to change the trap, buy a PVC trap instead of chrome, unless its where you can see it. Chrome has a problem of cracking and leaking over time.

Old 04-22-07, 02:01 PM
J
So I tried a new J bend and it still leaks. I think now I'm dealing with a bad slip nut on the trap arm. (I'm learning all the jargon now) The J bend came with a nut but how do I get that onto the trap arm? Do I now remove that? I'm starting to think the closer I get to the wall the better I am calling a pro. Please be honest with me.

Old 04-22-07, 03:44 PM
A
Do you have a P-trap(http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/mtn-ptrap-mt302x.jpg)? Have you bought a new one? If you did, replace the whole old trap. If it still leaks in the same place, make sure the nut is tight enough. Do it hand tight first, then if it leaks do it alittle more with a wrench. Normally a chrome P-trap won't leak there, but a PVC one will sometimes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: