Problem With Non-Flushing/Over-Flowing Toilet

Old 04-24-07, 06:56 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem With Non-Flushing/Over-Flowing Toilet

Well, the toilet filled up and over-flowed before I could shut the water supply line off.

I got a plunger and went to town plunging away.. I made ZERO progress. I went to the store and bought a better style of plunger. Got home, and you guessed it ZERO progress. It seems my 1957 style 15 gal. per flush still will not flush. I let it sit over-night and the water had drained down the next day. I began plunging again and reached what I thought was success. The toilet actually flushed-ONCE. I noticed that when it flushed, water was running out from under the edges where it sits on the floor.

I figured I blew the wax seal out with my aggressive plunging. Bought a new wax ring and did the R & R procedure. Got the toilet back up and running and NO FLUSH! It will fill the bowl to the top and then just sit there swirling. When I had the toilet off the drain pipe, it was free and clear of obstructions. No signs of anything in sight. I FORGOT to try and look up inside the bottom of the toilet when I had it off so I can't say that there is not something up inside there plugging it up. I have to believe at this point that the problem is with the toilet. Even before this problem the toilet had no "power". Meaning when I flushed it, it always took almost a full minute to slowly fill the bowl up, and then finally start the out-flow process. Never a strong gurgle at the end.. Always just a sigh :-( for a finish.

So, what next? What do I do to remedy this problem? Eventually I will buy a new toilet, but for now, this was the only reliable toilet in the house. Any ideas as to what I can do to resuscitate this beast (now that is a disgusting thought!)??? Or, can I do what I told my wife I was going to do and take it outside and pulverize it with the kids baseball bat?? Please say option 2 as that would bring me the most pleasure! But, I really don't want to shell out for a new toilet right his second as I am in the middle of a complete bathroom renovation in the master and don't want to take money from that budget for this problem.

I just went & checked it, and it has drained down is doing some type of gurgling sounds & air bubbles-large ones-are popping up into the bowl. I attempted to flush it again-NO GO! It just fills the bowl again.

Please help!

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-24-07 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Non progressive language
Old 04-24-07, 07:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Face it, although you say it is the only "reliable" toilet in the house, it isn't if it doesn't flush. Pop for a new 17 1/2" tall toilet with 1.6 gallon per flush. You will be glad you did, and the environment will thank you. When you get the old one out, take a hammer to it and find out why....I always like to investigate things.

Old 04-25-07, 04:00 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Buy a bowl auger. Then try and clear the toilet. Augers work better than plungers for tougher clogs and they don't deteroite over time.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-02-07, 06:34 AM
G
Okay, I finally figured out that my waste line that connects to the city sewage system has a partial blockage. Only after repeated flushing will the line back up. 1 or 2 flushes it will work fine.

I pulled the cap off the clean closest to the bathroom with the problem last night inside the clean out pipe it was backed up almost to the threads for the cap.

What is the easiest way to clean out this pipe? Should I try a chemical concoction? The house INTERNALLY has all cast iron pipes. The sewage pipe however, and all clean outs, are all PVC. I think someone has replaced all of the external cast iron, but without digging it all up I can't confirm that.

Should I just get an auger and try that? Power auger, or a hand auger? Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 05-02-07, 12:28 PM
B
had a similar problem...

... where the toilet would back up after a couple of flushes, gradually draining only to repeat again when it was flushed again. It also turned out for us that there was a clog in our line to the sewer, but I hired Roto Rooter and didn't clear it out myself. They used a large (maybe 2-3 feet in diameter) powered augur for something like an hour, constantly dragging stuff up, discarding it, and then using the augur some more. In our case, the problem was that roots had grown into the line, which meant that, when my wife flushed her usual 2-3 rolls of toilet paper, it got caught on the roots and clogged everything up but good. Yeesh!

You could always rent a power augur yourself, but, if I were you, I'd just hire someone with a guarantee. Roto Rooter came back at no charge when it turned out the first guy hadn't excavated the pipe enough, leading to a second backup. Now we dump some root killer down the drain every six months, which keeps the roots from thriving in the pipe. So far so good...

Good luck!

Old 05-02-07, 12:54 PM
I, ll do most plumbing stuff , but Ive read about too many DIY accidents with power augers .

My plumber charges 125 for this

I let him do it .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: