Kitchen Sink Operation Causes Loud Noise and Shudder

Old 04-26-07, 08:32 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen Sink Operation Causes Loud Noise and Shudder

I moved into a 20+ year old home last week and have noticed when I turn on the kitchen sink there is a loud noise for a second or two and a slight vibration. The sound/vibration are significantly stronger if the sink hasn't been operated for a while (e.g., first thing in the morning). Conversely, they're still present but not as noticable and shorter in duration if the faucet has been used quite recently (e.g., hand washing a dish immediately after washing a previous one). Can anyone shed some light on what's causing this and how I can stop it? It's driving us crazy. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-26-07, 01:15 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
This is often caused by a loose washer in the faucet. It could also be severely worn cartridge in the faucet, it depends on the type of faucet.

Old 04-27-07, 05:15 AM
T
It's a tall, hook-shaped faucet with seperate knobs for hot and cold, independent of the faucet itself, on either side. Are the suspect washer and/or cartridge readilly accessible with this set up or would it be better to replace the entire unit? Thanks so much for the information.

Old 04-28-07, 04:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
It may also be a loose washer in the shut offs for this sink. On my first home, I chased this exact same problem down to the the water shutoff at the water heater. The screw which holds the washer in place corroded away so the washer was free to move around. An old timer at a hardware store told me the problem was a washer, but I would not believe him. I check the shutoffs near the faucet and nothing. It wasn't until a couple of months late when I was changing out the hot water heater did I see the real problem. Just shows you that you really should pay attention to old timers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: