Blocked bath tub mixer & Spout

Old 05-04-14, 10:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blocked bath tub mixer & Spout

Hi There,

I have been battling with water pleasure in my Bathtub for a couple months now. I suspected my Dip tube had died, because when I was replacing the kitchen sink I found bits of brittle white stuff blocking the pipes. (see attached pic)

Originally I assumed this is what was blocking the bathub, so I stripped the mixer to find that the cartridge was damaged, I flushed the water pipes going to the bathtub mixer (turned the mains back on with the cartridge out) whilst doing that loads of little white bits came out. (large and small chunks). note that there was PLENTY pressure here. water basically shot across the bathroom. lol

After buying and installing a new cartridge I found that there was still very little water coming out the spout (basically just a very soft trickle)

I removed the spout and turned the tap on, still a light trickle.

The only thing I can think of is there is pieces of dip tube stuck between the mixer and spout. but its impossible for me to get to those pipes without ripping out tiles and maybe even the bath ....

And suggestions on a what to clear between the mixer and spout?

Attached Images    
Old 05-04-14, 11:15 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What's on the back side of that wall?
Sounds more like calcium build up then the dip tube.
Is there a water softener?
Had the water tested?
Old steel pipes?
Any other faucets effected.

Old 05-04-14, 11:33 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the wall with the mixer? - its the neighbours flat. this is a bathroom in an apartment block.

I don't have a water softener, but I live in South Africa, generally we don't have a problem with "Hard Water" in my area especially...

This bath was installed last year, with new copper pipes.

This is the only one that is affected, however when I changed the elbows on my kitchen sink taps (put in isolation valves) I found loads of chunks of that white stuff.

Don't think it is calcium as the white bits don't dissolve in vinegar.

Old 05-04-14, 05:10 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Just an idea but try removing the cartridge and use a vacuum cleaner ad suck it out from where the cartrige was then reverse the hose on the vac and blow it back from the tub spout. I think you want to move the air in the oppiste direction of the water flow. If you have a air compresser blow the air into the tub spout.
Replace the dip tube and drain the heater to clear the old dip tube out.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: