What would you do?

Old 04-26-07, 08:23 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

I am having a problem deciding whether I should re-do my plumbing with pex or just do the necessary plumbing (moving the existing lines to new fixtures)in 1/2" copper. The plumbing I have now is all 1/2" copper coming straight out of the meter and basically a 1/2" copper branch with everything T'd off of it in 1/2". It is a ranch with a finished basement. There is a full bath downstairs and upstairs and the plumbing for both baths(directly above) are the same line, just T'd off a T off a T if you know what I mean. I am redoing both baths and wonder if I should redo all this. I don't have water pressure problems the way it is except for the pressure and temperature drop when someone flushes a toilet or uses the upstairs shower. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Old 04-27-07, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Rob: If your intentions are to re-plumb all the supply, I would start with a 3/4" trunk line and tee off it with 1/2" at each appliance. This will solve your temp/pressure change when someone flushes or uses a sink while you are in the shower. Now, as far as using pex, it is a good product. The flak came in with the fittings, not the pipe, and how the fittings were installed. The pex tool will cost you about $160 alone, and it must be calibrated properly to put the correct pressure on the rings at the fittings. It is quick, alot more flexible than copper, and will handle temperature changes better than copper, plus if you are on a well, the sand in your water won't wear it out as fast as copper.
So, after you do the job, you may be able to put the tool up on Ebay and recover some of your costs.
Hope this was helpful.

Old 04-27-07, 02:22 PM
G
Thanks Larry,
I have probably most of the 1/2 and 3/4 fittings I would need to re plumb everything in copper(thanks to an estate sale) so the only thing I would need is the pipe. So would you suggest I stick with re plumbing it in copper? Rob

Old 04-27-07, 06:19 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I would use cooper!

Old 04-27-07, 07:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
If you feel comfortable sweating copper, then copper is the better solution, like Airman says.

Old 04-27-07, 07:16 PM
G
Sweating copper is no problem.
Thanks guys

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: