Rough-in Directions (Tub Faucet)

Old 05-05-07, 07:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rough-in Directions (Tub Faucet)

I'm installing a new tub as part of a re-model. The tub is already in place and I'm now ready to install the tub/shower valve controls.

I purchased a Moen L82383 single lever tub/shower combination control. When I opened the carton to look at the installation instructions, there were none. I called HD (where I purchased the control) and they said none of the Moen's come with installation insturctions. I found that rather strange.

So...........Is there anywhere on the internet that I can locate the instructions and download them? Having written instructions would certainly be much better than a "trial and error" method of installing.

Old 05-05-07, 07:07 AM
C
CSG
It is a pretty straight forward valve and probably why there isn't any..although there should be some.

Go to www.moen.com or check this link out: http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instruction_sheets/INS195C.pdf

Whoever you talked to gave you bogus information. ALL plumbing products come with instructions. And if you can't find any you can usually view them by PDF at almost every manufacturer website.

If you run into any further questions..post back. Be gald to help.

Old 05-05-07, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It has been a number of years since I have installed one...but at least I have...plus I service these (Moens) repeatedly and will pass on what I know that could help you until/unless you receive other specified instructions:

You can't hardly go wrong by piping the wall in the middle of the 2 x 4 wall When drilling the hole for the valve, through the tub surround it is imperative it is smaller than the plastic 1/2 inch thick spacer disc that is at the front of the mixer valve. That plastic disc stays on there and creates the perfect backset for the valve. Then when you tighten the big chrome trim plate down over your tub surround in the final stages of asssembly, that plastic spacer disc is forced against the backside of the surround so that when you push or pull on the knob, the mixer valve remains tight to the surround.

With such a mounting suystem, it is not necessary to secure the mixer valve/hot and cold pipes to the studwork in the wall cavity, as long as that plastic disc spacer method is employed.

Old 05-05-07, 09:24 AM
C
CSG
I see your somments Dave...but i must disagree. You should ALWAYS secure the valve inside the wall to a stud or something. That spacer assembly your referring to is simply for drywall and alignment. That is its only purpose.

In many situations you come back down the road at an old house , where you didn't put the plumbing in, and find some guy installed it the same way you described. When you take the trim plate off the valve slides back and it is a pain to get the new trim on. That or the screws come loose over time and the trim plate rattles on the wall.

To the Op: Make SURE you strap/secure the valve inside the wall. Per the istructions i showed in previous post.

As far as the 2X4 wall..what if it is a 2x6 wall? What if he has marble tile that sits off the wall 1.5"? Again, teh intrustions give you the proper measurement that the valve should sit back from 'finished' wall which could be different in many situations depending on tile, mud, and board your using (ie. dura-rock, greenboard, etc).

Old 05-05-07, 11:11 AM
Tub shower valve control

The only post as of now I agree with is CSG, valves are not the same, they have to be installed to the specs that come with it, anything else is B.S. Take it it back where you bought it and tell them you want the paper work or to shove it up there azz, sorry I'm so hostile, but I've been there, and I do it for a living. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 05-06-07, 03:16 AM
ALL Moen products come with an instruction sheet. The fact that it is missing means someone took that box home from the store, fiddled with it , lost the instructions...and who knows what else is missing from the box... and returned it to the store. The store has a machine to reintstall the plastic strap, so the unsuspecting customer....you.....thinks you got a factory-sealed carton!

Old 05-06-07, 03:51 AM
Got the instructions

Thanks for the input.........I could not believe that Moen would NOT put in installation instructions with their valves. So.............I went to a different Home Depot (other than where I bought the valve) and asked to see the mounting instructions for the same model valve...........Sure enough, they had a display model box OPEN and there was the instructions. The clerk used his head and decided to copy the instructions for me instead of removing those that went with the display model valve. (At least the instructions would be there when they tried to sell the display model).

Anyway, the instructions are merely a sheet of graphic "photo's" showing the method of mounting. Not what I would call GOOD instructions but a guide none-the-less.

I will get it installed and definitely fasten the valve body to the stud wall. I am fortunate that the back side of the tub wall where the valve mounts is open and easily accessible.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-06-07, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that the all have instructions and Moens were hard to figure out. If I remember correctly if you are mounting the valve to a wall or panel less than 1/4 inch the plastic disc goes behind the wall and the hole wall or panel of course is smaller. My daughter just had a new home built and it was mounted this way. You can grab the valve and it will move flexing the panel. Although I was mounting it to a panel of 1/4 inch I opted to mount the valve to the framing, cut the hole an 1/8 inch larger than the plastic disc and made sure the valve was mounted so the face of the disc was flush with the panel. The disc has two positions that it can be mounted and if you mount it in the incorrect position you may not be able to disassemble the valve. I fretted over this for days trying to figure it out. May try another brand for my next tub. Hope this makes some sense and is some help

Old 05-06-07, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Forgot to mention I added some backing behind the panel to keep it from flexing when I installed the face plate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: