What is a Riser diagram?

Old 05-05-07, 08:33 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry What is a Riser diagram?

A friend wants to add a shower in the basement. The township is asking for a riser diagram showing all pipe sizing and venting fixtures.

How to draw that, I notice some books have images of a whole house piping. Not sure if that is called riser diagram. Anybody can give a link to show an example?

If you include both supply and drain lines, the drawing will be pretty complicated. Not sure if we can separate these two categories into two plans.

Thank you.

Old 05-05-07, 08:58 PM
Most times a riser diagram in an already existing structure consists of the placement of existing fixtures in conjunction with the new proposed system.

That new system will be required to have a design that is compliant to local codes.

A diagram of the Drain Waste and Venting system

AND

A diagram of the Water Supply Distribution system

Most diagrams are done by isometric drawings using a 30/60/90 degree triangle to show the layout of your new system.

It is complicated if you've never done it before.

Old 05-05-07, 09:19 PM
L
Thumbs up

Ooops, isometric drawings.
that's the word I need. I have some idea now. It seems there is not a ready software to use. Thank you very much.

LZhang

Old 05-05-07, 09:48 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
http://www.tpub.com/content/engineering/14071/css/14071_85.htm

there is a link to a simple riser diagram.

and yes, there is software available for this if you want but for a single house it would be quite expensive and take a bit of learning to make the drawing.

I would simply get out the drafting table, some triangle and a scale and draw one up by hand.

Old 05-05-07, 10:06 PM
C
CSG
It might be a good idea to clarify with the municipality what they are wanting exactly as well. Maybe call and ask a plans examiner or something if possible.

For example..i've worked in many municipalities in Florida. Some require actual isometric drawings. Some just want a plain old hand written sketch, very basic, just so they have something in the file giving a person in the future an idea of what is there. (a basic stick drawing with arrows showing flow).

Old 05-07-07, 11:39 AM
L
Thank you both.

Old 05-09-07, 02:21 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
When I did a pretty major remodel, the town inspectors office stated they required plumbing drawings. I did my research, and ended up drawing isometric drawings for the supply and DWV systems. I was all proud, handed them in with my $150 charge, and he looked at them and said, "wow, we rarely see drawings like this, even from plumbers". Turns out he was only looking for a "stick" drawing that showed pipe sizes to ensure everything was planned out correctly.

Lesson learned - Ask before spending a lot of time (or $$) =)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: