Waste water 'tie in' advice

Old 05-06-07, 07:13 PM
S
Sip
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waste water 'tie in' advice

Hi,

I'm remodeling my downstairs bathroom to include a sink and shower. Originally, the house was only built with a toilet in the basement. One of the proir owners added a sink. The waste water pipes are cast iron. I think 6". I'm not sure of the name of the device but they broke a hole into the iron pipe and attached this clamp to it so they can attach the sink drain. The sink drain pipe is 1 1/2 copper and it ends on a male thread which threads into the "tie in".
There are no vents on the toilet or on the sink. I heard a term 'on the run' before but I'm not exactly sure what that means.
So what I'm thinking my game plan will be is to remove the 1 1/2 pipe and "tie in" fitting and try to install a 2 inch. Then I will split this to the sink and the shower. Should i then vent the sink and shower?
If this sounds like a do-able plan, can you tell me what the name of the tie in is, and how to set up the vents?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 04:21 AM
S
Sip
I found a tap saddle by fernco which is a little different than what i currently have but it's pretty similar. Any idea if i have to use a 45 degree or can i use a 90?

Old 05-07-07, 07:20 AM
C
CSG
Yes..a saddle is what your describing.

As for the vent..yes..when you branch off what you call the 6", and run to your lav and shower....you need to bring up a vent at the lav. That will vent the shower, toilet, and lav. Keep the pipes roughly on the same plane. If not you will cut off the lav vent.

What i mean is when you run to the shower..do not roll the pipe up or anything and same for the lav. Just run the pipes all the way too them slightly uphill till you get to the ends where you can then turn up.

For the lav...when you come up and put your T in for the trap..just come off the top of the T approx. 6" and use a studor vent..unless you want to take the vent to the outside of the building.

Hope this helps...tried to explain it as simple as i could think atm heh.