rotten egg smell coming from kitchen faucet

Old 05-07-07, 04:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool rotten egg smell coming from kitchen faucet

HI, I need some help,I recently replaced our kitchen faucet used a (MOEN) I noticed that the the cold water supply was soft water so I switched it to hard water the hot water supply is still soft water. now after I switched the faucets and water supply we started getting a rotten egg smell coming from the faucet, I checked all the other faucets in the house including the bath tub and the outside faucets no stinky smell coming from them. we are on a well system and we didn't have the smell before I switched faucets.
anybody ever here of this happening?

Old 05-07-07, 07:14 AM
C
CSG
Usually rotten egg smell comes from your water heater....the different minerals reacting with the anode rod. This very well could be your cause..is your KS closer to the water heater then other faucets in the house?

Also...i doubt it, but since you say it is a new faucet...perhaps something in that faucet is reacting with a mineral in the water.

I'd put a huge bet on it being your water heater though.

Old 05-07-07, 09:29 AM
B

The KS sink is farther away from the water heater then the bathroom, and the utility sink in the basement is right under the KS. should I try hooking a hose up to the water heater and draining some of the water.also it is a gas water heater.

Old 05-07-07, 05:49 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I can't remember what it is called but a municipal water system I do some work for told me it is a natural occurrence in the water. They run their water through an air stripper to eliminate the problem.

is this your only hard water cold faucet or are there others.

I found it; hydrogen sulfide. I believe it is from bacteria in the well or plumbing system.

My understanding is you can schock your well with chlorine to kill them off. That would work for a limited period of time before it comes back, which it will.

Don't know the specifics about chlorinating the well but maybe somebody here can step in with details.

Old 05-07-07, 09:04 PM
C
CSG
If he is only having the issue at 1 location...i doubt it is the well. You can tell a huge difference between a well and the problem he is having.

Old 05-08-07, 03:09 AM
B

Yes It's only the kitchen faucet, maybe I'll try disconnecting the faucet and run some water in a bucket to see what the water smells like that should tell me if it's the faucet or not. when your on a well system should you every now and then schock your well with chlorine to kill the bacteria.

Old 05-08-07, 08:28 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
that's why I asked about how many taps supply non-softened water. Going throught the softener can change things a lot. Not sure about the bacteria involved but many bacteria cannot live in a high salinity which a softener has.

Notice in the first post OP altered the supply from softened water to non-softened water supply.

the suggestion of the water heater is less likely. The smell is from the COLD water tap.

If you run the water for 5 minutes then take a glass of it and smell it, if it still smells, it isn;t the faucet since the flowing water has not had time to react with anything in the faucet.

That would mean it is from another source, most likely the well or some part of the water supply system harboring the bacteria involved.

btw, I have well water and experience this problem as well. The reason I gave no method for shocking the well is I have never been told how to do it correctly. I end up with good results but my methods may not be correct and I don;t want to pass that on to another.

I do not have a softener so I cannot tell you if the softener would change the situation but as I posted earlier in this post, I can see where it possibly could.

Old 05-08-07, 09:35 AM
C
CSG
Nap..i humbly apologize. I read too many posts..an i apologize to the Op. I completely forgot in the 1st post he mentioned he changed it from soft water to straight from the well.

Oops.

Yeah..that is the problem. The well may or may not be fine.

I'm not an expert on shocking a well. You can read this link i found:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/wwg411

I can't remember if it is once per year..or once every 3 years. Maybe someone else will help out with that answer.

As for adding the softner...yeah..that would change it. Where i live in south Florida i don't honestly ever think iv'e seen a well wihtout a softner except for sprinkler systems.

I shocked a well once about 10 years ago...was easy...it involved some empty milk jugs and some cholrine..i just don't remember what we did. Someone was teaching me, but i haven't done it since so i don't really remember well enough to give details heh.

Old 05-09-07, 05:22 AM
B
rotten egg smell coming from kitchen faucet Reply to Thread

Thanks for your help, I'll read up on Shock Chlorination and give that a try.
randy

Old 02-25-12, 11:35 AM
A
I have a rotten egg smell from the cold water in my bathroom Moen sink faucet. My plumber told me it is caused my plastic leads that allow fungus etc. to grow on the cold side and cause the smell. Moen sends me new hose kits and new valve body kits but the problem persists. My plumber said to only buy a faucet with metal leads not plastic.

Old 02-25-12, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
You should really start your own thread since this one is 5 years old.

Are you on a well or city water?

Old 02-29-12, 08:59 AM
M
If the smell is isolated to only faucets with the "plastic braided" lines, I would be very comfortable with changing those lines to eliminate the problem. This is a very common problem I have experienced.

Old 10-29-12, 05:50 PM
H
Rotten egg smell

Smell is not coming from your faucet. It is coming from your well. You have sulfur bacteria in your well. There is a product on the market called the Sulfur Eliminator that will get rid of that smell and keep it away. The Sulfur Eliminator | , NC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: